Letting Go & Paper Lanterns

IMG_7834

I am a bit of a hoarder…Ok, alright,  I am a lot of a hoarder.

What began as a standard organizational sweep of our cluttered bedroom quickly turned into an overdue and slightly emotional purge.  I hold onto things for thinner days and fatter days; richer days and poorer days; rainy days.  I let go of beautiful and well crafted items that just weren't me anymore.  I let go of clothes that I loved in high school.  I let go of clothing that I bought in hopes I would one day fit into again.  I am not letting go of the goal of losing weight or someday being brave enough to wear that skirt and bare theselegs.  But in this moment I am drowning in stuff and the guilt of broken promises to myself.  Rather than feeling motivated, it was all making me feel worse about myself.  If I came across an item that was especially difficult to release, I reminded myself that by holding onto these items I was indirectly saying that there is a lack of abundance in this world and in my life.

I release these beloved items out into the world so that others may give them good homes.  Abundance is about letting go and enjoying the flow.  I am creating space for the things that I really want and letting go of the items that weigh me down.

And so, to celebrate the abundant shelf space and the empty floor in our tiny closet I hung these festive paper lanterns above our bed.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 2, 2009 at 3:55 pm by Lindsey Alyce | Permalink

Well done!

2. Posted November 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm by Poppies and Milk | Permalink

OK, I just love this post! Thanks so much for your honest sharing… I can completely relate…

3. Posted November 2, 2009 at 6:07 pm by Lesa | Permalink

Fantastic! I need a good purge myself. Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing.

4. Posted November 2, 2009 at 6:22 pm by jessica | Permalink

Beautiful! I’m much of a hoarder as well…I am looking forward to a big clean out and fresh start once graduate school is complete!

5. Posted November 2, 2009 at 7:45 pm by ashley inzer | Permalink

perfect! I love the way you put all of my own thoughts so eloquently. thank you.

6. Posted November 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm by deb | Permalink

My name is Deb and I’m a hoarder too. :) As I’m sitting here typing, I have a very large box next to me – this is the box that I’ve slowly been filling for the past couple of weeks. As we shift in seasons this is the perfect time to declutter life. Once that box is out of here I’ll feel a whole lot better.
    Your bedroom looks so dreamy!

7. Posted November 3, 2009 at 1:35 am by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

Oh we are kindred — I just bought a bunch of paper lanterns to do the same!!

8. Posted November 3, 2009 at 1:35 am by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

Also — that bed is so pretty!!

9. Posted November 3, 2009 at 5:15 am by Fancy Elastic | Permalink

Well done… nothing like a good clear out – it takes effort, but that’s what makes it so rewarding.
    And, I LOVE the your bedroom, the latterns are gorgeous.

10. Posted November 3, 2009 at 7:12 am by Kristine | Permalink

Your room looks so beautiful! The orange of the lanterns is so lovely with the green and soft white. And now I am inspired for some similar purging! Thank you for the words about staying in the flow, receiving abundance. Why is it so hard not to hoard?

11. Posted November 3, 2009 at 9:58 am by Janet Ellenberger | Permalink

Hmmm do you think you could inspire your Dad to do the same…?
    Love Janet

12. Posted November 3, 2009 at 11:14 am by Ana | Permalink

The lanterns made me smile.
    I go through phases about once a year where I do the same. It feels nice, to get rid of old things that aren’t ‘me’ anymore and make space for the new.

13. Posted November 3, 2009 at 6:56 pm by Mama Veg | Permalink

I love the paper lanterns in your room. A purge does always feel so good. I have organizational issues so I always feel so relieved when I can organize a space.

14. Posted November 3, 2009 at 9:27 pm by Lynn | Permalink

great job! parting with “stuff” can be a difficult process. the room looks splendid.

15. Posted November 3, 2009 at 9:58 pm by Annette | Permalink

I wonder what it is about going through old things that just feels so icky? It’s always worth it though. Your room looks UH-MAZING!!! The lanterns! I love them!!!!

16. Posted November 6, 2009 at 2:03 pm by hillary | Permalink

So fun. I love the color of your walls.

17. Posted November 7, 2009 at 3:10 pm by JoAnn | Permalink

Love the paper laterns! And isn’t it amazing how much lighter you feel physically and mentally when you let things go?