A Rainy Day & Thoughts of Christmas

House

Oh how my heart swoons for Christmas.

I get through Halloween by the skin of my teeth so I can turn off the porch light and dive into Christmas nirvana as I sleep with visions of sugar plums {whatever they are} dancing in my head.  Every year I hope for the warm old fashioned Christmas I see so often in movies and Christmas cards and yet every year it eludes this hopeful heart of mine.  When I speak of Christmas, I don't think about maxed out credit cards and frantic shopping, but of apple cider and crackling fires.  I think of family and friends gathering in the warm respite of a glowing home like an ember dropped in the snowy landscape.

Ever year I get better at the the handmade Christmas and now, more than ever, I want to create comforting and beautiful Christmas traditions for our little family.  We are not religious folks, but spiritual and earth-based folks, but I find that the season has become largely commercial and, in turn, exhausting and un-fulfilling for so many.

In hopes of creating the holiday spirit I so crave, I think we will need many craft nights with apple cider, sweet music and cedar boughs, cinnamon, and homemade tree trimmings.  Let the traditions begin.

I thought now would be a good time to share some of my Christmas favourites with you and yours just to make it completely clear that I am dorky to the bone.  Christmas music that makes my heart glad.

Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong

Wintersong

Rita MacNeil

Joyful Sounds A Seasonal Coll

Nana Mouskouri

Christmas With

Boney M

Christmas with Boney M

Loreena Mckennitt

Midwinter Night's Dream

Diana Krall

Christmas Songs

I can't forget the faithful crooners!

Christmas Crooners

Christmas Around the World

Christmas Around the World

Christmas Remix

Holiday Classics Remixed

P.S. Oh Gordon sing sweet songs to me.

P.P.S.  Goodness!  How my heart aches for more children and a cozy home surrounded by fields and forests.   For mornings filled with laughing and hot porridge with cinnamon and brown sugar.  It all makes my ovaries ache!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 19, 2009 at 3:54 pm by ||| laura frantz ||| | Permalink

Yeah, what *are* sugar plums, anyway?

2. Posted November 19, 2009 at 4:18 pm by jessica | Permalink

I’ve always wondered that as well. Lately it has been all Christmas music, all the time. One week from today we’ll be putting our tree up!

3. Posted November 19, 2009 at 8:04 pm by Ana | Permalink

I didnt know Loreena McKennit had a new christmas cd!!!!
    :: so excited ::
    !!!

4. Posted November 19, 2009 at 9:07 pm by deb | Permalink

Hey Sarah McLachlan was playing at my house today!
    It’s always fun to see holiday favorites… thanks for sharing! :)

5. Posted November 20, 2009 at 12:23 am by hillary | Permalink

Thanks for the music selection.
    I absolutely love the Christmas Season too! The lights, the warm home, treats, gatherings, the sing-a-longs.
    Sigh. I’m so happy just to think about it.
    We are visiting family for Thanksgiving and when we get back it’s time for Christmas!

6. Posted November 20, 2009 at 9:57 am by christina | Permalink

hi sweetie,
    i love that i stumbled on to your lovely place here. i adore christmas, it makes me feel warm inside. we try to slow down, leave the commercial side of it behind and enjoy one another as a family. apple cider, games and thoughtful exchanges. i hope these times become sweet memories for our children.
    so nice to “meet” you.
    i adored this post
    : )

7. Posted November 20, 2009 at 1:33 pm by Liz | Permalink

my holidays aren’t complete without a little sufjan stevens. such rich melodies and a sweet take on the traditional holiday music. anytime a banjo is involved, i’m down.

8. Posted November 20, 2009 at 9:34 pm by Annette | Permalink

I ought to send you my custom Christmas mix! I love Christmas music so much, especially singing carols. It moves me in a way that is so cherished and warm, just like this season…but not the commercial part in which i do not participate. Who needs it. The holidays are about love, not crap.