thirty seven and a thank you

Sunday37

Annette:  My super-talented husband and his friend were among the artists in our locale who were awarded grants for their genius last night at a super cool ceremony! I, of course, was the beaming photographer, taking loads of photos of everyone and being thrilled for the impressive array of artists and cultural magnificence happening around these parts! When the night ended, Steven and I arrived home with convenience store goodies and a celebratory agenda of Anthony Bourdain-watching and stuffing our faces, I then realized that there were really no photos of me from the evening! It's a rare thing that I get dressed up and even more rare that I put on makeup and do my hair. There needed to be photographic evidence! I liked this one! (which was technically taken on Sunday in the wee hours)

Erin:  Another day spent in sweatpants, eating bad food, and wishing I could outsmart this constant nausea.  Poppy is more amazing with each passing day as she learns to share her cheese with the doggies and her apples with mama and daddy.  She wants nothing more than to explore everything on God's green earth with fervor.  I whisper gentle promises that as soon as I feel better I too will be an explorer.

P.S.  I wanted to thank everyone for the rally of support with regards to AW's ridiculous comment on Friday.  While the people-pleaser in me wanted to address and defend every "point" that was mentioned, the fierce mama bear in me was sharpening her claws and looking for some throats to rip out.

Instead, I looked at it as another wise opportunity from the Universe to be comfortable enough in who I am, what my experience is, and the great mother I am, and to not allow some classless idiot shake the foundation of what I know to be true.

It is hard to believe that I once allowed a person just like this into my life.  A person who loved barbed humour and insulting emails and then called themselves a concerned friend.  This event is a great reminder of the things I have learned and the supportive groups of people manifesting in our lives of late.

No more drama.

This entry was posted in earth's best sundays. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 25, 2010 at 12:51 pm by stacey | Permalink

no more drama, amen

2. Posted January 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm by Joan | Permalink

Hi there, Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you are feeling a *little* better. I too had horrible all-day sickness that lasted until about 25 weeks. My husband always reminds me of the time I threw up in the Home Depot parking lot! Not pretty. The smallest, infinitesimal smells would just set me off. I ate a lot of sour patch kids and sniffed sliced lemons like a crazy person. :) There is an old-wives tale that m/s means you will have a girl, seems to be true for you last time. It was true for me!
    As for your not sugar coating things– I really enjoy reading your posts and identify with the good and not so good that is life. That is why I like your blog *especially* out of all the picture perfect blogs on the internet. Reality is real! …so thanks.

3. Posted January 25, 2010 at 1:44 pm by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

how frustrating — people like that AW are just bored and sad with their own life.
    what a miserable thing for them to comment.
    about 99.99999% of us think you are just fabulous — so the other teeny % can shove it!
    ^_^ with love!

4. Posted January 25, 2010 at 2:26 pm by Mandy | Permalink

Erin, how I’ve longed to curse ‘AW’ out the past couple days, but the lady in me nearly bit my tongue off! Fury swarmed my body when I read the hate mail. How could one say such a thing, especially when one is a mama herself. I couldn’t help but feel sorry for this so called ‘mother’. From one mama to another I know that it’s our population and our population only who can truely understand the depths of pregnancy. Being pregnant isn’t all about cute little baby bumps and that motherly glow. It’s about all the trama that a woman’s body endures in a mere 9 months, the emotional stress, and the everyday battle with yourself to be just a little bit better in every way shape and form. Pregnancy isn’t about gum drops and lollipops so like you said, you can’t sugar-coat it all. Why would you?…Why should you?
    Don’t let this so called ‘mama’ bother you! Just rememeber that she’s not even half the person/lady/mother as you are, nor will she ever be.
    P.S. I want to you to know that you’re one of the most beautiful mothers I’ve ever met. And by beautiful I don’t only mean physically, but inside as well. You’re genuine, and that’s something you don’t see much of in this day and age. You truely inspire me as a woman and a mother, and I can guarantee that I’m not the only person who feels this way. If the world had more women like you in it, the world would be a much better place.
    : )

5. Posted January 25, 2010 at 2:48 pm by ashley inzer | Permalink

authenticity = beauty. that’s why i love your blog. I don’t have children, and I’m not even a huge fan of them (at all), but I love that I get to experience the raw realities of your world no matter how different they are from mine. Thank you for the bravery it takes to be real. love to you!

6. Posted January 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm by solstice letters | Permalink

Wow. I’m so sorry you’ve had to deal with such inexcusable rudeness in the midst of everything else. Go have some chocolate…and some more chocolate. You deserve it. Warmly…

7. Posted January 25, 2010 at 8:35 pm by Annette | Permalink

Yes, no more drama because unlike some people, you have the gift of moving onwards and upwards in your life. As snarky as that may sound, it really is a gift, and in the end, all we can have is compassion for people who need to cling to the bitterness of the past and their selfish refusal to accept friends and ex-friends positive growth.
    And gee, self-portrait Earth’s Best Sunday choices kind of embarass me actually! It looks like my booby is totally hanging out and I assure you, it’s not! LOL!

8. Posted January 26, 2010 at 8:42 am by Jen | Permalink

I hope you are feeling better soon Erin. It’s unreal what the changes and hormones of pregnancy can do to our bodies and our minds both during and after pregnancy. I truly hope you feel better very soon and are able to do some exploring with beautiful Poppy. She is growing so fast! Hugs.

9. Posted January 26, 2010 at 10:43 am by JoAnn | Permalink

Wow, I had no idea someone had been so rude. Ashley is right authenticity = beauty. I’m sorry that AW even stopped to type. Much love to you and your wonderful family!

10. Posted January 26, 2010 at 6:03 pm by Andrea Kidssweet | Permalink

Here is the link for a New Yorker cartoon I just loved that reminded me of someone related to me (unfortunately) and reminded me of your nasty commenter yesterday. Hope this helps.

11. Posted January 31, 2010 at 8:27 pm by leaningapplemama | Permalink

i have been a reader/lurker for a bit…but i don’t believe i have ever commented before but i just wanted to say…(because i have been there and i love to talk about it:))…being sick during preg number two is super sucky (i was sick for wks 6-30 and 35-birth-not pleasant but i made it). but anyway…i certainly talked about it all the time…how could we not talk about such huge and important happenings in our life?! i love to hear another woman’s story because they are all so different and so real. (i am also a midwives apprentice (on leave right now) so i extra love to hear about it!! plus, i didn’t like being pregnant either time…yet still want to have a third baby!! keep on sharing!! thank you and be well and rest!! xo, pennie