bleach pen t-shirt

I recently pinned this idea on Pinterest and couldn’t wait to try it.  One of the things I sell when doing craft shows and markets are upcycled screen printed clothing.  I just use the simple freezer paper method seen nearly everywhere now, but first seen in Soulemama’s first book The Creative Family.  It is effective, but a little tedious when doing many items and sometimes lacks the fluidity I would like.

Enter the three dollar bleach pen.  I don’t know why I never thought of this before!  I just free-handed a design onto a perfectly worn gray t-shirt I found at Value Village and rinsed it off when I liked the colour it had changed to.  I was on the phone when it was time to rinse so I couldn’t be as careful as I should have which resulted in a few rouge bleach marks, but I think it adds to the rather weathered look of the shirt.

Seriously simple and rewarding project.  Try it.

This entry was posted in craft, recipes, tutorials + DIY. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 23, 2011 at 7:55 am by emilieblogs | Permalink

Very cute! I've actually combined the two methods pretty successfully….iron your freezer paper stencil on, and then spray over it with bleach water (lots cheaper than bleach pens, also!). It gives really crisp, clean edges.

2. Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:10 am by The Knitty Gritty Homestead | Permalink

What a simple and fun idea…can't wait to try it!

3. Posted June 23, 2011 at 8:16 am by Brittany | Permalink

i love it! i can't wait to try it!

4. Posted June 23, 2011 at 9:55 am by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

So good. I did this once to write words on a tee once back in university. Time to try it again, methinks!

5. Posted June 23, 2011 at 10:50 am by Julie | Permalink

How awesome is that?! I definitely will try. Thanks for sharing, yours looks great!

6. Posted June 23, 2011 at 11:49 am by Carrie | Permalink

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

7. Posted June 23, 2011 at 1:27 pm by Kory | Permalink

I've had this on my to do list forever. Thanks for reminding me! Yours came out beautifully!

I too have done bleach with freezer paper stencils, I cut out an image and then sprayed around it (leaving the image the original color) came out fantastic!

8. Posted June 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm by Nutmeg | Permalink

AH! Love it! Thanks, dearie!

9. Posted June 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm by Wendy Blue Eyes | Permalink

Brilliant!! And beautiful!!

10. Posted March 28, 2012 at 12:15 am by breida | Permalink

this is really a fantastic idea! found you on the “make” collaborative board. good to know you! i’m very eager to plan a version of this. i am brand new to blogging but not to serious creativity – see you around.
    b.