poppy’s first haircut

Last night, I decided it was time to give Poppy her first haircut.  Her ringlets are often quite tousled and out of control, but when she began to grow what looked like a ringlet rat tale I knew something had to be done.  I have, on many occasions, cut my own curly hair with the kitchen scissors with both great and not so great results.  Curly hair hides a lot of sins, that I know for sure.

I was a little nervous about cutting Poppy’s virgin curls, but I strapped her into her booster seat, Daddy distracted her with funny animal videos on you tube, and I gave her a little curly bob.  I quickly collected the lost curls for her baby book and released my restless toddler.

I spent the rest of the evening admiring the fresh cut curls as they bounced prettily around her shoulders and marveled at how quickly these milestones come upon us.  Some days it is like watching grass grow, but other days it is like watching a wildfire rip through, both can be equally difficult in their own rite.

This entry was posted in celebration, family, frugal living, recipes, tutorials + DIY. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 30, 2011 at 9:48 am by Julie | Permalink

Oh, those sweet curls! Precious! The first haircut is always hard for me. It definitely suits her, though.

2. Posted June 30, 2011 at 11:23 am by The Knitty Gritty Homestead | Permalink

I had to have three children to get one with curls…hers is the only hair I'll cut! Poppy's are delicious. Parenting is like that…the days are long, but the years are short.

3. Posted June 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm by B. | Permalink

my sons hair was curly up until i cute it…it's been straight ever since. sometimes i long to see those sweet little ringlets again.

4. Posted June 30, 2011 at 3:10 pm by RosieDreams | Permalink

I just cut my oldest daughters hair last week. From long to short. And I have to agree. Her sister's wavy-curls are much easier to cut…even when she's bouncing around and the scissors are barely reaching anything with any consistency. Thick straight hair was intimidating, to say the least. But though I felt anxious about cutting it…and so much at once, it feel so good to see her face and eyes again. Cheers to you!

5. Posted June 30, 2011 at 3:35 pm by Deedee | Permalink

So sweet! My little girl also has curls, and I think I may shed a tear or two when the first haircut arrives!

6. Posted June 30, 2011 at 6:19 pm by Nutmeg | Permalink

Oh, look at those darling little curls! I almost wanna cry! She's so sweet and bright!