thoughts of autumn

::my gloriously sexy husband preparing the apples for apple butter::
I love autumn.  It’s true.
The wind changed; it is scented with wood smoke and leaves.
A comfortable chill climbs over the windowsill in the night and rests on bare skin.
This morning is grey and windy.
The kids and I dug potatoes, picked a few red tomatoes and a few more apples.
I think today is a good day for making potato soup, more apple butter and maybe, just maybe, some apple pie pockets.
This fall seems to hold more comfort than any other for some reason.  We had grand plans for the new house what with gardens and chickens and decorating and painting.  And though we got a small messy garden in, it didn’t produce a great deal due to a lot of the nitrogen being used up to break down the sod {so says my farming father}.  I managed to get our whole upstairs painted, but the floor is still covered in a gag me orange carpet.  Oh yes, we got many things done in the midst of a move and settling, but there is so much more we want to do.
We still have not built our chicken coop nor have we acquired our laying ladies, but if you knew how much Miss Poppy loves chickens you’d see it as the tragedy it would be if we were to wait until next spring!  Besides, we’ll need something to pull us out of doors when the snow blows and temperatures dip.
Yes, yes, this autumn and winter will be spent dreaming and planning!  How my heart aches to know what these hills will look painted with fall’s colours and to feel the hot heat of the wood stove.  We will hunker down with our new books and bellies full of stew to plan our yard and garden.
Our dream is to have a yard full of veggies, fruits, herbs, and wildflowers.  We will plan what we need to make it through a winter eating our own food, make mistakes, and try again the next year.
It is such a joy to make your own butter.
There seems to be nothing gradual about it; it just turns from frothy cream to a lovely lump of yellow butter.
It’s beautiful thing.

::making granola::

::Our chicken girl at Nana + Grampa’s:
Plan, plant, dry, preserve + eat.
Indeed.
Autumn is in the wind.

This entry was posted in family, homesteading, life, recipes, tutorials + DIY. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm by Denise | Permalink

I like your plan. It i like a little mantra!

plan, plant, dry, preserve and eat. I am going to write that one down.

2. Posted August 25, 2011 at 11:27 am by Bri | Permalink

Ohhhh I dream of the same things in our garden! We have not long moved into our new home and also have so many plans! Spring is on the way (we live in Australia) and I am looking forward to all things floral and edible!

3. Posted August 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm by Plain and Joyful Living | Permalink

Oh, we also have so many plans but the time just goes and goes and goes faster than we can implement it all. It helps so much to make a list of what is accomplished though and then I love what you wrote about the dreamy time of winter.

Warm wishes, Tonya

4. Posted August 26, 2011 at 1:36 am by Nicole | Permalink

Oh how I share your Autumn setiments.The arrival of Fall always makes me feel like I have somehow found my way home after being lost in the hazy, hot days of Summer. As soon as that fresh Fall breeze rolls around my soul seems to bloom with a renewed sense of ambition and belief that all things are possible and I can indeed make my visions and dreams a reality.

Ps. Will you be selling your Lavender Prayer Pillows at the Folk Festival and if so what will be the cost?

5. Posted August 26, 2011 at 4:08 am by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

Love those barred rock babies!

6. Posted August 28, 2011 at 5:09 am by Kory | Permalink

I love fall. Love love love fall. I think I'd love it even more with things to harvest :) Our garden failed miserably this year, but we'll try again next year!

7. Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:56 pm by Eva Girl | Permalink

I've just stumbled across your blog…funny, insightful, down-to-earth, beautifully written, and lovely pictures! So glad I found you! ; )

8. Posted October 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm by Heather | Permalink

I love this! We are already thinking ahead to next year, hoping to replace our summer CSA with out own garden…and that first picture reminds me that I need to invest in an apple corer…