homemade deodorant

We have all heard the health concerns of applying chemicals to our largest organ; the skin.  In an effort to remove as many of these toxins from our daily routine and home I have been experimenting with making my own bath and body and cleaning  products with simple, good old fashioned ingredients and have been amazed with the results.  I will share what I have found to work as well as any resources I use.

Well, I do believe it is time to share the coveted homemade deodorant recipe I have been raving about.  It is a simple recipe and all the ingredients can be found at either your local grocery store or health food store.  First, a little history; I am not a big sweat-er, but in all my years of using both conventional and natural deodorants (including the salt crystal), nothing keeps the odor away like the homemade stuff I am about to share.  I did use the Angry Chicken recipe with great success a while back, but after a few weeks I began to develope a rash (an allergy perhaps).  Now, without further adieu, the recipe:

Ingredients:

4 TBSP organic coconut oil

(refined has no scent + unrefined has a lovely natural coconut scent)

1/4 cup aluminum free baking soda

1/4 cup arrowroot flour

essential oil or scent oil suitable for use on the body

Over very low heat place all ingredients in a small sauce pan and blend.  It will look as though it will never blend, but soon enough it will blend into a pourable liquid.  At this point you can add your scents mixing well.

Pour into container and let set in refrigerator (I keep mine in the bathroom counter)

One batch will fit perfectly into a 125ml mason jar

To use:

I use the back of my thumb nail to scrape it out and it melts at your body temperature so it spreads easily and evenly.

I have found it can sting a bit if applied right after shaving, but I may just be sensitive.

Resources:

Essential Oils – Mountain Rose Herbs and local health store

Jars – Home Hardware

Tins – Here, also available at Mountain Rose Herbs, but were out of stock when I needed them

Scents –  Here + Here

Who says hippies have to be stinky?!

This entry was posted in frugal living, recipes, tutorials + DIY, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm by Jordy | Permalink

Wow, I never knew that deodorant could be homemade! A really informative post on a chemical-free alternative!

• Posted December 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm by erin | Permalink

Glad to share! Thanks for stopping by :)
      Erin

2. Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm by melanie | Permalink

Thanks so much for this. I’ve been wanting to try making my own deoderant for a while and this recipe seems really doable! I even have all the ingredients on hand. : )

3. Posted September 2, 2012 at 9:50 am by teresa c | Permalink

Hi Erin,
    I tried this recipe but unfortunatetly it didn’t seem to work out – when I put the liquid into the container the ingredients started to separate, with the oil getting on the top. Maybe I didn’t mixed long enough? Do you have any sugestions?
    Thanks!
    Teresa

• Posted September 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm by erin | Permalink

The only thing I can think of is that you are over heating it and breaking it down…I stir constantly over low heat and only until well mixed…hope this helps because I could not live without mine!
      E.

• Posted September 3, 2012 at 6:50 am by teresa c | Permalink

Thanks, I’ll try again, maybe on a double pan to control the heat. I’d really like to make the switch from a regular deodorant to a homemade one

4. Posted October 4, 2012 at 10:44 am by Misty Pratt | Permalink

Wow, this is super easy! I have tried many natural deodorants, and find they make me smell worse than if I used nothing. I’m definitely going to give this one a shot!

• Posted October 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm by erin | Permalink

I have been using it for over a year now and it still amazes me!