homemade lip balm

Today I will share the recipe for a lovely homemade lip balm.  It was roughly based off of this recipe with a couple changes.  In all honesty I goofed and used the wrong measuring spoons, so when I doubled the recipe I actually…um, quadrupled it?  It filled 10 mini tins and a 125 ml mason jar.  Goofs aside, this is a lovely lip balm.  Not too sticky.  Not too slippery.  Stays on the lips well and moisturizes nicely.

I will give you the large quantity recipe I ended up using in case you’re making last minute gifts or just need a bucket-load of lip balm to get you through the dry winter months.  Feel free to half it.

See the other recipes + tutorials I’ve shared here.

Ingredients

3 tbsp finely chopped beeswax (found at local health store)

6 tbsp coconut oil (found at grocery store)

3 tbsp lanolin (found on Etsy)

3/4 tbsp emu oil (used instead of vitamin E oil as I always have it on hand and never have the E)

2 tbsp hard honey (found local honey at bulk food store)

Peppermint + vanilla  extract (add a little at a time to your liking)

Add all ingredients except honey, peppermint + vanilla to small saucepan over medium low heat stirring until all little bits of beeswax are melted.

Stir in honey, peppermint + vanilla and stir until well mixed.

I used a small eye dropper to fill tiny tins and poured the remainder into a 125 ml mason jar.

Enjoy!

Pin It
This entry was posted in frugal living, recipes, tutorials + DIY, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 20, 2011 at 8:40 am by renee @ FIMBY | Permalink

Peppermint & Vanilla – oh, why haven’t I thought of that yet. I just made all our lip balm for the winter season but I wish I had seen this first!
    Thanks for the link by the way.

Eyedropper – clever. The things I learn…

• Posted December 20, 2011 at 9:21 am by erin | Permalink

Ha! Glad I could give something back to you!
      Thanks for the recipe 😉
      E.

2. Posted February 22, 2012 at 11:57 am by teresa c | Permalink

Hi Erin,
    I just tried your recipe and it feels great! the only thing is that when I added the honey, I couldn’t mix it completly, I put the lip balm on a glass jar and the upper level has a different colour from the donw level (probably with more honey). It probably won’t affect the lip balm, but I would like to solve it. Any suggestions, please?

• Posted February 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm by erin | Permalink

I had a little separation too, but when I put them in smaller containers with the eye dropper. Only when I put it in the larger jar.
      Not sure how to fix it. Sorry I am not much help there, but I am glad you like it.
      I find it works lovely especially if I put it on right before bed!

3. Posted February 22, 2012 at 6:57 pm by Teresa C | Permalink

Thank you! I’ll try to twich the propotions and how ir works. Even my husband liked it and he usual refuses to use any kind of balm!

4. Posted April 20, 2012 at 10:54 pm by Courtney Curtis | Permalink

Hi! Thanks for the recipe. I’ve been wanting to make lip balm for a while. What do you mean by “hard honey”? Thanks!