kid friendly snack ideas + homemade graham cackers

I thought I would share a few of our kids’ favourite snacks because, lets face it, kids can be tricky to feed when attempting to eat whole, unprocessed foods.  I am posting this for myself as much as I am posting it for you.   My kids are picky and this is a list of successful snacks I have come up with thus far.  It is always growing and changing.

This may be the beginning of a wee series, you never know.

Homemade hummus – I promise to share my favourite simple recipe soon

Homemade Tzatziki made with plain organic yogurt – again, I promise to share my favourite recipe soon

Dried fruit – we plan on buying a food dehydrator soon so that we can make our own with organic fruits and no additives

Apples – lots and lots of organic apples; this is much cheaper in apple season I must say

Bananas, berries, oranges, etc – My kids devour any fruit put within reach

Quinoa or couscous with tomatoes, cucumber, pesto, lemon juice, salt and pepper

Plain organic yogurt drizzled with honey, vanilla, and cinnamon

Pomegranate seeds – this is one I had never tried with the kids until my friend at the knitty gritty homestead mentioned it

Nuts

Homemade Guacamole – my kids won’t eat it plain, but with the addition of some lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper, they love it

Homemade pitas

Lara bars – spendy, but so yummy and simple.

Hard boiled eggs spiced and sliced or deviled eggs

Fruit and yogurt smoothies

Homemade crackers

Homemade Graham Crackers – Recipe for some tasty ones found below

Kale “crackers” – my kids, especially Poppy, will not touch a vegetable, but the kale chips are a hit.  Parenting win.

Apples with organic peanut butter

Organic cereal or granola with organic milk or yogurt

Homemade  apple sauce

Some snacks I will be trying out (and sharing with you):

Moroccan spiced roasted chick peas

Homemade fruit leather

Homemade Lara bars

Homemade poptarts with homemade jam

Homemade Nutella

Dark Chocolate, peanut butter, banana bites

Apple rings dipped in homemade pancake or crepe batter

Coconut Honey Graham Crackers

::These are quite tasty and the addition of honey and coconut oil were a great choice::

3 cups organic all purpose flour

{I am still waiting for my ONFC order to arrive, but will add a mixture of wheat germ and spelt flour in the future}

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

a dash of freshly ground nutmeg

1/2 cup organic butter, softened

1/2 cup full flavour organic coconut oil

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons local honey

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl; set aside.
  2. Put butter, coconut oil, brown sugar, and honey into the bowl of an electric mixer; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined.
  3. Turn out dough onto a floured surface, and divide into quarters and roll out to a thickness of about 1/8 inch.
  4. Using a fluted pastry wheel or a pizza cutter, cut into desired size.  I did wabi sabi 3x 3 inch squares.
  5. Pierce crackers using the tines of a fork. Transfer to large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake until dark golden brown, 8 to 9 minutes.
  6. Let cool on sheet 5 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

As you can see, I could use some more crafty veggie snacks if you care to share those.

What are your family favourite snacks?

This entry was posted in family, life, recipes, tutorials + DIY, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm by Ana | Permalink

Those crackers look lovely!

And Erin! Before you buy an expensive food dehydrator, seriously consider making your own. This is ingenious: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/dried-fruit-video/50542.html

Alton Brown despises what he calls “unitaskers” (kitchen items that only serve one purpose) and goes to great lengths to recreate expensive gadgets with cheap, ready available materials – and it always turns out to do a much better job than the more expensive appliance.

And when you’re not using it as a food dehydrator, you’ll have a box fan to use as – a fan! No unitaskers :)

As for other snack ideas… I like puree-ing a can of mixed beans with a bit of olive oil/lemon juice/salt/pepper/herbs/etc to use as a yummy, protein-filled dip for veggies or crackers. There’s also homemade jello: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pomegranate-gelatin-recipe/index.html

(Yes, I have an Alton Brown obsession – but with good reason!)

• Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:59 am by erin | Permalink

Oh! I never would have thought of making our own dehydrator! We have been hestitant to buy one due to size and cost so this may be a great DIY for Mike to pick away at! I am really excited about that!
      Thanks, as always!

2. Posted January 18, 2012 at 10:22 pm by Ana | Permalink

p.s. for the jello – I tried experimenting with vegan gelatin “strips” once but found they did not work :( It worked well with some organic gelatin powder I found, though.

3. Posted January 18, 2012 at 11:58 pm by Johanna | Permalink

mmmm…I’d love to hear how your homemade LARA bars turn out! The graham crackers sound good too!

• Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:55 am by erin | Permalink

I am looking forward to making those too.

4. Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:16 am by Greer | Permalink

Can I just say how much I am loving these recipe posts of yours? Thanks for the inspiration!!!

• Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:55 am by erin | Permalink

I am so glad! I find it is keeping me on track with blogging and eating well too so it is a win win!
      Thanks for writing!

5. Posted January 19, 2012 at 7:40 am by Knitty Gritty Home | Permalink

Mmm…those look delicious! My kids also like celery with peanut butter squooshed into the groove, then raisins stuck along it…ants on a log! Also, steamed broccoli dipped in a sauce of nut butter, juice, and tamari…equal parts of the first two, and a splash of tamari…they love it! I keep a list because of my gluten/dairy/soy intolerant son. It takes more effort, but is worth it for sure!

• Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:54 am by erin | Permalink

I have tried the celery thing, but they just lick out the PB and leave the celery behind…Will have to try the broccoli though!

6. Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:18 am by Regina Honeyman | Permalink

LOVE LOVE LOVE…all your ideas. I have done alot of these with my daycare kids but see some that I’m just gonna have to try….gezzz you would be amazing with a home daycare :)

• Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:20 am by erin | Permalink

Oh wow! Thanks Regina! That means a lot coming from the queen mama of great daycare :)
      I find the blog is helping with organizing my thoughts and such.

7. Posted January 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm by Laura Jeanne | Permalink

Those graham crackers look great…next time I have room in the budget I will be buying some virgin coconut oil so I can try them.

I also am going to try making some homemade Lara bars, since I love them but definitely can’t afford them when they’re not on sale.

8. Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm by Amberlea | Permalink

Is your coconut oil solid? I have a tub in the fridge that I use on the stovetop, but haven’t ever tried baking with it (because I don’t really know what do do with it, warm it up gently first?)

• Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm by erin | Permalink

It is solid. I keep mine in the cupboard and it melts at 24 degrees. I think you can just use it as you would use softened butter.
      I am going to play with it in things like crumble toppings etc for added flavour and I think it is also healthier.
      have fun!

9. Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm by Ana | Permalink

Yay I thought you might be excited by the idea! It’s definitely way cheaper, easier to store, the parts can be used for other things, and (if you’ve watched the video) you can see that it took him probably less than 10 minutes to assemble. Genius, that man is. I’ve occasionally thought about doing a “Julie and Julia” kind of thing with all his recipes… I’d know everything there is to know about cooking science by the end of it!

10. Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm by Meryl | Permalink

Love the cracker recipes! My kiddo is in a “crackers only” phase, so I believe I may be baking this weekend.

11. Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:42 am by Anne | Permalink

Good Morning my darling dear,
    I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your recipe post’s latley.
    I fixed up a big pot of the soup the other day, and the kids, and the hubby gobbled it up. Yesterday I made the crackers and the kids just love them smeered in almond butter. Thanks for the great post’s and inspiration.

• Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:45 am by erin | Permalink

Well good morning!
      I am so glad you are enjoying the recipes! You have no idea how happy that makes me! Glad they are getting good reviews too. Wow!
      Thank you for taking the time to write and let me know. It is wonderful to get feedback.
      Warmly,
      Erin

12. Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:43 am by Anne | Permalink

oops….lately, I think a second cuppa coffee would be good now! lol