our first egg

Oh, how my heart swells with joy.

We brought our 6 laying hens home from my dad and step mom’s flock on October 29th.  Dad and Janet have been getting eggs for a couple weeks now from their 19 hens and asked every time we spoke if we had any ourselves.  We worried they had begun eating the eggs due to cold weather, boredom and/or the light-filled nesting boxes.  We had built two nice nesting boxes, but with two 4’x4′ south facing windows in our small coop, it was impossible to keep light out.  In an effort to appease the ladies we dug out an old cat carrier, removed the door, placed it in a corner facing the wall with just enough room to squeeze in for privacy, and filled it with fresh straw.  That was yesterday, and by mid morning today we had our first egg (in the cat carrier of course).  So it was either coincidence, or hens can, and will, hold out for more ideal laying quarters.  Lesson learned.

It is such a simple symbol of all that we are trying to do here.  It feels like an important milestone and another nudge in the right direction. I actually squealed when I cracked open our egg and compared it to the other (organic, free run, store brand) eggs; so yellow and vibrant! I actually felt sad that so many people may never know this joy.

And once again, I am reminded of how blessed our simple life is.  Thank you for that sweet ladies.

Pin It
This entry was posted in ellenberger organic farm, homesteading, life, photography + writing, recipes, tutorials + DIY, wellness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm by Ana | Permalink

Oh! This is indeed so exciting! When I stayed in a little cabin up near Thunder Bay, there was a farm nearby where we could buy eggs. They were the best tasting eggs I’ve ever had. So delicious and full of life. I’ve never tasted eggs like that.

What are all those eggs doing in a bowl? A cake?

2. Posted January 25, 2012 at 8:08 pm by Andrew von Zuben | Permalink

That’s a compelling picture of the egg in the bowl next to the premium store bought eggs.
    All of a sudden ‘organic’ is thrust into a different light.
    It make me wonder about the organic goods that we buy.

• Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:23 am by erin | Permalink

Well I think that organic is still better, but small and local is pretty important too. I know Dad and Janet give theirs lots of good food and organic kitchen scraps as well as let them go free range.
      Anytime you get into bigger operations they are still going to do bare minimum just like any other large corporation. At least organics gives them a slightly higher minimum.
      I have known all along that buying PC Organics is just a lesser evil of all our grocery store options.

3. Posted January 25, 2012 at 9:25 pm by FarmerSophie | Permalink

Congratulations! A wonderful moment, indeed. I’ve had chickens at a few different times in my life, but I’ll never forget the first egg from the first batch of hens we raised here on our farm. We started with 225 day-old chicks. 224 of those made it to egg-laying age (we assumed no more than 200 would make it). The first egg was laid one week before my son was born, in late October of 2008. You can just imagine the flood of eggs that followed. We were totally unprepared! We had not yet established our markets for eggs, and I was thrown for a loop by the new demands of motherhood. Let’s just say it was a long, egg-filled Winter. We’ve figured things out by now (regarding both eggs & motherhood), but I will never forget that first egg… Thanks for reminding me of those long-ago days!

• Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:15 am by erin | Permalink

Wow! That is a lot of eggs my friend!
      Glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane 😉

4. Posted January 25, 2012 at 10:16 pm by Meryl | Permalink

Congratulations! That’s such an exciting day!

5. Posted January 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm by L.Bo Marie | Permalink

oh! yay!

6. Posted January 26, 2012 at 6:10 am by Linnea | Permalink

Yay! I’m admittedly a tinge jealous. For non-chicken owners who know the difference, good eggs can be difficult to find. Enjoy!

7. Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:43 am by Amberlea | Permalink

That is fantastic! Hooray for real, fresh eggs! You go, homesteader! xoxo

8. Posted January 26, 2012 at 10:39 am by Candace Flynn | Permalink

awesome!!

9. Posted January 26, 2012 at 11:40 am by laura | Permalink

I was waiting on the edge of my seat yesterday for word that Toronto City council would get with the times and allow backyard chickens like many other cities are now doing…but no. A unanimous vote against by the committee. ug.
    Going to a local farm is so not an option for the downtown dweller, and the sight of those ‘premium’ pale yellow eggs against the bright orange of your freshie is reinforcement of what I have already known. …sigh. Enjoy your freedom ladyfriend!

• Posted January 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm by erin | Permalink

That is a huge bummer! We technically aren’t allowed to have livestock either (seems odd that is was perfectly fine to have chickens while living in Lindsay, but not out here!). But I don’t think anyone will mind.
      I seem to be getting a lot of locals commenting lately…how did you find the blog?
      Thanks for writing!