crochet convert – slippers for my girl

Knitting has never come easily to me.  I know my basics, but just enough to be frustrated enough to spit.  Believe it or not, cursing and swearing never helped.  Aside from the year I gave some basic scarves out as Christmas gifts the most intricate knitted item I made was this Milo sweater vest for Poppy.  It shaved years off my life I am sure, but I finished it and it will fit her and Silas for many more seasons to come.

I never took up crocheting beyond a wee lesson on a friends front porch mainly because I didn’t want to confuse myself and have one more frustrating “hobby”.  It began a couple weeks ago with the crochet rug I keep mentioning (I promise to it to you once I am done).  It was so simple, I thought perhaps I should try another simple pattern.  I thought slippers would be a great second project  (link to pattern is number six in last week’s fawned friday).

They were a quick project and I was even able to do it with two kids crawling and pawing at me which is the only way I get to work these days it seems.  Crocheting  is quick, simple, satisfying, and easy to correct; all perfect criteria for this season on my life.  We have a lovely yarn store, but I just used some super saver acrylic yarn which I am sure is a faux pas in these parts.  I don’t have the best track record and didn’t want to buy the prettyful stuff only to leave it sitting unused, or unraveled by the kids yet again.  I feel like a kid in a candy store when I look at yarn and patterns and can get overwhelmed if left unchecked.

If you’re a beginner, I would suggest the best place to look for help is on YouTube, specifically Knit Witch.  Take it one stitch, one abbreviation, one round or row at a time.

Poppy loves her new slippers and wore the first one around the house as I worked on the second one.  Every once in a while she would come check in on my progress and if she found I had put it down she would tell me to “Make a Poppy a shoe, please”.  Now I need to make a pair for Silas and me, but I am confident enough now to venture into the pretty wool for future projects (and likely many more slippers)

Feel free to share a link to your favourite patterns or Ravelry links in the comments!

This entry was posted in craft, life. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 6, 2012 at 7:58 pm by mel | Permalink

such sweet tootsies! I totally hear you on the knitting vs.crochet debate.. I need to learn to crochet! These are just so lovely… and I think its great the kiddies get to see you create for them/with them… love it.
    muah!
    Mel ;o)
    needle and nest

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:47 pm by erin | Permalink

Do it! You should be getting some feisty nesting energy soon so maybe you can channel it into some slippers 😉

2. Posted February 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm by Bea_OT | Permalink

I love the slippers! I crochet, but not very well and I have no idea how to read a pattern.

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:46 pm by erin | Permalink

I seriously googled each instruction as I came to it and it usually took me to knit witch’s videos. Easy to see and follow.
      Keep at it!

3. Posted February 6, 2012 at 8:39 pm by Kelly | Permalink

I LOVE crocheting…and I have super cute patterns for baby and toddler slippers I bought from a site called Hook Candy I believe…cutes slippers ever! Even some for adults. Haven’t found the time to get to them but they are a darn good time! Love me some wool crafts for sure.

These are super cute and I am so glad Poppy was excited for them!

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:44 pm by erin | Permalink

I will check it out! Thanks Kelly :)

4. Posted February 6, 2012 at 8:53 pm by Amanda | Permalink

your making me think i should try to crochet 😉

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:31 pm by erin | Permalink

You seem to be a natural at knitting, but go for it! I do, however, forbid you to out-crochet me though 😉
      Can’t wait to see what you make.

5. Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:07 pm by Emmy | Permalink

Your work looks lovely! So nice to find your niche, isn’t it.

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm by erin | Permalink

It is nice to have victory every once in a while for sure!

6. Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm by KC | Permalink

Those are totally adorable! I’m new to crochet. Haven’t made a thing yet, just learned the basic stitches. I look forward to checking out the video you link up too.

• Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm by erin | Permalink

Hello!
      Thanks! I hope it encourages you to make something. I swear if I can do it anyone can 😉
      I got your email too and will respond soon to work out the little details :) Thanks so much!

7. Posted February 6, 2012 at 9:38 pm by Ana | Permalink

“Make a Poppy a shoe, please” – hilarious!

My friend is always knitting/crocheting something whenever I see him, he taught himself via YouTube and books. He amazes me. He makes cool stuff like iPod cozies, too.

Those shoes look super cute!

8. Posted February 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm by Morgan | Permalink

I’ve been crocheting the past three years, and even though it seems like knitting’s neglected stepchild, I found this craft has enough range to keep me interested for years. You might want to look into Tunisian and slip stich crocheting, which has the look of knitting but uses crochet hooks. My grandmother has crocheted for decades and didn’t even know abou them.

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:54 am by erin | Permalink

That sounds interesting! I will have to check it out.
      Thanks for writing!

9. Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:35 am by Amanda | Permalink

I remember that lesson on the porch! It seems so long ago… I’m glad you’re finally submitting to the crochet bug (; feel free to turn to me for questions answered if need be, and those slippers are adorable on poppy’s wee feet :)

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:52 am by erin | Permalink

Having a real person there to help is always better! Thanks for the primer friend!

10. Posted February 7, 2012 at 8:44 am by Crystal | Permalink

So cute. I agree that crocheting is much quicker and less frustrating. It’s something I’d like to get better at. Do you find they’re ‘slippy’ on your floors? I had a beautiful pair of hand knitted booties for my daughter but she only wore them once, she almost did a couple faceplants sliding around the house in them!

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm by erin | Permalink

We haven`t had any slipper-induced falls yet but it may be bad on laminate floors or the like.

• Posted February 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm by erin | Permalink

Also, if you found them slippery you could use puffy fabric paint on the soles…

11. Posted February 7, 2012 at 8:46 am by Stephanie K. | Permalink

Beautiful…and don’t let the yarn snobs make you feel bad about using acrylic…it never wears out and washes well which makes it perfect for kids, and footwear! I love them, and think yours should be pink, too…then you can pirouette around the kitchen to Poppy’s delight!

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm by erin | Permalink

Ha! I agree they should be pink. I may even do a two tone slipper for me.

12. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:32 am by Amberlea | Permalink

Erin, these are fantastic! Nice work! I’m definitely going to check out the youtubes for instruction, because I can’t get past a simple straight line… The only thing I’ve ever crocheted is a simple scarf… And Poppy is so adorable wearing them! Look at those cute little knees!

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm by erin | Permalink

If I can do it, any one can!
      The shoes look extra cute with those wee knees don`t they!

13. Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:11 am by Laura Jeanne | Permalink

It makes me feel good to hear someone else say they find knitting difficult…it seems the blogging world is filled with ladies who whip up one awesome knitted sweater after another…and I just can’t figure it out at all. I have knitted square dishcloths, flat doll blankets and scarves, but knitting a hat, or a mitten, seems about as difficult to me as designing a rocket to take me to the moon. My brain is not suited to knitting, it just isn’t.

Maybe I should give crochet a try. My husband crochets – he crocheted me a blanket with my name in it when we were dating! Cool eh?

Poppy’s slippers are really cute, you did a super job!

• Posted February 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm by erin | Permalink

I think you need someone to sit with you while you learn. It is just too frustrating otherwise.
      That is cool that he did that!
      I hope you have success with it!