we be sprout’n

Winter is long, but today the sun was friendly.  Even the less than brave  ladies ventured out to scratch at the sun dappled snow.  The kids and I sat at the table for a late afternoon snack of kale chips, dried cranberries and fresh oatmeal cookies as the sun sliced across the table.

Last week Kira, Fern and Baby Meer came for a visit and brought along some homemade pitas, roasted carrot hummus and their own sprouts.  I am a fan of sprouts, but have never tried sprouting my own.  I think I thought it was a complicated process, but it is proving to be quite the opposite.  The next day, I went out and bought a few mixed packages as well as some mung beans and alfalfa and began the simple process.  Soak them overnight, rinse and drain in the morning, rinse daily until ready, store in the fridge and eat ’em up.  Thank you Miss Kira!

They should be ready for eating tomorrow and I look forward to the tasty, nutritious snack.  I must say it is quite a welcome delight to see something sprouting to life in these long, final months of winter.

What lively greens keep you going through the winter?

Pin It
This entry was posted in frugal living, homesteading, life, recipes, tutorials + DIY, wellness and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 8, 2012 at 12:33 am by KC | Permalink

Because we have such temperate weather right now, I’ve got chard and spinach growing as well as peas and carrots!

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 8:47 am by erin | Permalink

I am quite jealous! Our growing season is dreadfully short here…We won’t be planting until June.
      I think we are going to look into some cold frames and a hoop house to extend it a bit.

2. Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:31 am by teresa c | Permalink

I’ve already seen this process on line but I never tried (I’m not sure where to find sprouts here in Portugal). We do have a mild winter (this one has been particulary mild, with very dry weather and lots of sun, not too cold except for the last few days) so we have greens around. Of course I only have a small patch of soil on the kitchen window, but still it has been growing lots of basil, coriander, parsley and rosemary, and tose herbs do make my day when they release their strong aroma! The sproting seem s a very pratical way to bring some green in to an appartment, so I’ll have to try and find some seeds around here.

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 8:45 am by erin | Permalink

You could order them online or check your health food store.
      I hope you find some. Your wee herb garden sounds dreamy! I would love to get a year round herb garden going though they never seem to do well in containers for me.
      Thanks for writing!

3. Posted February 8, 2012 at 7:05 am by Stephanie K. | Permalink

I do sprouts about now…my kids love them but somehow we never eat them up before they go stinky. The tiny sprouts are the hardest, I find. I do love the look of them releasing their vitality into the world after resting in their little seeds for who knows how long! Looking forward to starting seeds in March!

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 8:44 am by erin | Permalink

I am hoping I can convince the kids to eat ’em up with me so I don’t have to throw them in the compost!
      I think SouleMama said she rinses hers to keep them fresher longer.
      We’ll learn as we go I guess.

4. Posted February 8, 2012 at 8:30 am by Kira | Permalink

Nice sprouts Erin!! Ancient eastern blend is one of my favourite mixes of sprouts ( mumms sprouting seeds). If you haven’t already you should check out http://www.sprouting.com there is so lots of great information. Health benefits, mixes, recipes.
    Kira

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 8:42 am by erin | Permalink

Thanks Kira! I will check it out.

5. Posted February 8, 2012 at 1:43 pm by Monique | Permalink

Hi there. We love to eat kale from our own garden right now. And the last pears and beets from the garden that we still have in the freezer. But the stock is shrinking.. :o(

• Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm by erin | Permalink

Our goal is to put enough away in the freezer to get us through too. I am sure it takes both rationing and planning, but we will learn just as you have I hope!
      Thanks for visiting and taking the time to write!
      warmly,