earth’s best sundays – unedited

crepes + jam

coffee

6 eggs

next winter’s wood

endless snuggles with clingy babes

more wood

Skype + a phone chat

a warm fire

spaghetti dinner

Now, how it really happened…

After the third sleepless night in a row, we tried to start today with homemade crepes.  Making them, we could hardly hear ourselves think as the kids were hollering for said crepes + jam.  Poppy licked the jam off her crepes and left the rest in a rumpled pile on the table while Silas threw the sticky stuff on the floor.  Silas had a diaper blow out and Poppy was coated in snot.  We thought a morning bath would calm them, but Silas screamed for most of it.  My coffee and crepes went cold while I bathed them and tidied the bathroom.   While we were in the tub, Soma ate the scraps off the sticky table.  I rolled up a cold crepe with some jam and escaped to the chicken coop where, in an attempt to break their water, I soaked my entire right foot and pant leg.

3 eggs {+3 throughout the day}

Our $825 wood order arrived and is now piled where my clothesline usually hangs.  I wonder how long we’ll be looking at that pile of wood, how we will ever get it cut up ourselves, and if I’ll need to find a new home for my clothesline.  Our bank account is grim after that hit.  Meanwhile the kids thought the man and his giant truck of wood were going to hurt Daddy and tweaked accordingly.

The afternoon was a drawn out one of insanely clingy kids and worn out parents; a torn apart house and one load of laundry; a quiet Skype visit with Nannie; a spaghetti dinner (which I burnt), and then back to the couch for more clinging, snotty, feverish kids.  We watched Aristo Cats at least 500 times and would be rich if I had a buck for every time they whined “‘nuggle mama’.

A nice phone chat with my mom.

Now, to bed we go with Netflix and said sick clingy children.

Mike’s quote of the weekend:

“Just give them what they want and maybe they’ll let us live.”

Yeah, not one of our best.

This entry was posted in earth's best sundays. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm by Stephanie K. | Permalink

Just read this aloud to my husband and we are totally commiserating with you…we got our $900 wood order last Spring with help from his dad, then spent the cash before we paid the wood guy because we needed to pay the mortgage…spent the summer re-saving, then spending the money. Again. Finally paid the wood guy in the fall. It took so long to get it cut up. What we learned is that next year, it’ll be worth it to pay a bit more and have it delivered already split (because keeping a fire going is hard enough without wet wood.)

Ah, country life is so idyllic, isn’t it? Hope Monday is better than Sunday…

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 7:25 am by erin | Permalink

How much is it to get it cut up? I think Mike really wants to do this to prove something and I don’t even think he asked about the other price…
      Now we have to buy all the gear to cut it…ugh.
      Methinks we’re going to be looking at this pile for some time…

2. Posted March 4, 2012 at 8:56 pm by Ana | Permalink

When the kiddies are sick you can’t really do much expect huddle and get through the day. I hope they feel better soon <3.

3. Posted March 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm by mel | Permalink

soo, not going to lie.. at first I honestly thought you meant you were trying to ‘induce’ one of your chickens… and then I clued in! What a country gal I am. Sorry it was a mess of a weekend… but with your crew, its still a beautiful mess. love yas. xo

4. Posted March 5, 2012 at 12:15 am by Susan | Permalink

Today is over and tomorrow is a new day… hang in there!

5. Posted March 5, 2012 at 1:12 am by Johanna | Permalink

Oh Erin, what a honest and wonderful post this is. I know you must feel exhausted and defeated, but someday you’ll be happy to have this post and to see just how crazy these toddler years were.
    Keep well my friend!

6. Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:10 am by Teresa C | Permalink

Editing makes everything look different indeed… And some days are better than others. Have a nice week, I hope your babies feel better!

7. Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:56 am by teresa c | Permalink

Oh, and about those bath tamtrums: sometimes my son throws one during (or more frequently after) the bath. It’s exhausting, because I just can’t leave him, but I can’t do nothing more than hold him in order to dry and dress him. Usually my husband leaves because it pushes his buttons much more than mine… so there I am, trying to calm him down. The last time he did it his face was red from screaming, and then he just stopped and wento to the table very calm, eating everything without any fuss at all… I guess it is up to him to calm down, but it sure isn’t easy during the storm to keep calm myself…

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 7:22 am by erin | Permalink

He actually never does this so that is why we thought the bath would be good…it always calms them down.
      Just not today 😉

8. Posted March 5, 2012 at 7:38 am by Beth Sheffield | Permalink

Honestly, it goes the same way it comes – you’ll wake up one morning to silence, you’ll panic and think something’s wrong – in your attempt to check to see if everyone’s ok, you’ll wake them, and you’ll kick yourself and never do it again….and you’ll discover you’ve entered a new chapter in your lives…new challenges for sure, but not so physically exhausting…hang on dear friend, hang on.

• Posted March 5, 2012 at 9:27 am by erin | Permalink

I always love hearing from you.
      Only a mother would feel sadness when talking about leaving this stage behind…I felt sad and panicky when you said it would one day be quiet…
      sigh.
      Thank you!

9. Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:30 am by Misty Pratt | Permalink

lol, that’s a great quote!!

10. Posted March 5, 2012 at 9:51 am by Heather | Permalink

“Just give them what they want and maybe they’ll let us live.”

Oh, dear. I cannot even begin to tell you how I just started laughing when I read that, because we have each uttered those exact words more often than I even care to consider. (Most recently: last night!) I know where you’re at, we’ve been there too. Hugs to you!

11. Posted March 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm by Stephinie | Permalink

love this :)
    hope everyone is well soon.
    xo
    s

12. Posted March 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm by Greer | Permalink

Mike’s quote had me laughing too! Hope it’s getting better now. xx

13. Posted March 6, 2012 at 5:08 pm by Lisa | Permalink

Thanks for keeping it real Erin. We were left at the end of this weekend saying “what the hell just happened?” between sick babes and serving the family supper after 7:00pm (when they should be going to bed!) both nights. Some time you just have to do what you can to get through those times, knowing this too shall pass…

14. Posted March 6, 2012 at 10:45 pm by teresa | Permalink

a package should be arriving soon to you! sending wishes of wellness and sleep!

(and the quote from your husband is perfection for describing sick days and nights with little ones!)

xoxoxoxo
    -teresa

• Posted March 7, 2012 at 11:39 am by erin | Permalink

You’re a darling :)
      warmly,

15. Posted March 7, 2012 at 4:41 pm by Shannon | Permalink

What a day! Happy for you that Daddy was there to share it with you, otherwise….
    The quote actually made me laugh out loud because I have been there myself. Hope all is improved.

16. Posted March 8, 2012 at 5:58 am by Earthenwitch | Permalink

Oh, all so true. I sympathise on every level!