a walk in the woods

We’ve lost a lot of our snow in the past week so the kids and I ventured into the woods after breakfast and egg gathering.  We didn’t cover much distance, but we gathered some delicate lichen that must have blown out of the trees with the strong winds of late.  We found some birch bark and rock and Poppy learned the magic of pockets.

It was another lessen in non-rushing; in enjoying the process.  I went at their pace trying not to rush or be too governed by my goal.  I looked up, down, and out as the kids picked at bark and showed each other their treasures.

I thought we’d make it to the pond, but we only got a little past the healing circle before the kids were soaked and Silas was thoroughly annoyed that the snow and ice were slowing him down.  But just as we were about to turn around I spotted some huge tracks in the snow.  They were older and a bit melted, but they were about the size of a horse hoof and cloven.  We’ve seen fox tracks and a brave raccoon and have been told to expect the deer to wander into our backyard, but there is something even more majestic about such a giant creature; similar to spotting a whale’s back skim the surface of the Atlantic.

It sent a reverent chill through me and the woods fell silent.  I followed them a tiny ways  to see where he was coming from and looked forward wondering where he was going.  I wondered what we were doing as this lone giant sauntered behind our house.  In that silence I could hear the snow creaking and twigs breaking as he lumbered through. I heard his breath and watched it rise to the limbs of the pines.

We made our way back to the house, played in some mud, watched the chickens and I stripped the kids down on the porch after they fell in dog poop.  Now I think I’ll make some pie and something to take along to tomorrow’s homeschool meet up and spend the rest of the day away from the computer.

This entry was posted in family, life, our cabin, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm by teresa c | Permalink

what a wonderful post about your walk. It made dream about forests, animals, silence and nature. And getting a second chance at learning everything again through the eyes of the little ones. I’m guessing that it could be healing in many ways.

2. Posted March 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm by crystal | Permalink

Love today’s photos. I was totally captivated by your story today. Great post!

3. Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm by Ana | Permalink

Oh, this sounds lovely. I love following children into the woods and letting them decide which forks in the paths to take, etc. I typically take the children I babysit into whatever ravine happens to be near by, and most of ten have never been in a “forest” before so it’s fascinating for them. It’s so beautiful to watch children discover the world, even when they’re not my own.

4. Posted March 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm by Ana | Permalink

*them

5. Posted March 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm by mel | Permalink

ahh, lovely – I do always love these photo posts and sweet thoughts , you’re so good at weaving them together, beauties.
    xo

6. Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm by Meryl | Permalink

What a pretty, gloomy (in the good way) sort of walk. I’ll be curious to see if you catch sight of whatever left the print.

7. Posted March 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm by KC | Permalink

Could it be a moose? Do you have moose where you live? I’m so happy to hear that have been able to get out a bit more!

• Posted March 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm by erin | Permalink

Yes, I am fairly certain it was a moose…I thought I actually wrote in there that it was, but I only eluded to it 😉

8. Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:39 am by macKenzie m | Permalink

BEAUTIFUL. what a lovely day to treasure. i love the very first hints of spring. it reminds me of the magic that is about to unfold. the life that is hidden beneath that dead winter.

9. Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:43 am by Stephanie K. | Permalink

I like how you eluded to the moose but didn’t name it…made him/her more mystical/mythical as moose really are! What a treat to see hoofprints! Walking in nature with children, through the woods or across a field, makes every care and worry sift away.