oh snap, we made a table

I have been talking about this project for what seems like forever.  I loved our large round table that was given to us by my dad and step mom when we bought our first house.  It was large, round, and perfectly aged as it was from an old farmhouse.  It was perfect for our first house.  Many a deep discussion and good belly laughs were had around it.  Unfortunately, the dining space in our new house was just too narrow and plans were made to make our own.  So we have moved it into our pantry space where I will use it to let our carefully preserved jams and sauces set.

We had never made anything ourselves before moving to the cabin in the country, but we seem to have found our guts and glory in this new home of ours.  We are becoming who we are are here and it is good, really good.

We modified the plans we found here to make it a bit shorter, but we stuck with the original width.  The instructions were super easy to follow and I highly recommend her site.  We couldn’t scrounge up enough lumber around our house so we bought it from the local hardware store.  So, with the lumber, wood filler, screws, and stain we made this table for about $130 and completed the build on mother’s day weekend between taking care of the kids, a trip to Ikea, and other festivities.  I stained it tonight first using Minwax Wood Conditioner {I highly recommend using the conditioner as it makes for super simple and even stain application} and “Provincial” stain {I wanted “Driftwood”, but the local stores didn’t carry it} .  I would also like to try making our own, less toxic wood stains. I did two coats on the top and only one on the legs.  Next we will put a protective coat of varnish on to protect it from jam hands and grease monkeys.

I won’t lie, we feel pretty darn unstoppable now that we’ve built this table {a chicken coop, a compost bin, garden and yard fences and gates from found branches, a pine floor laid, board and baton in the bathroom, gardens, etc} together.  It was a perfect first timer’s venture into precise furniture building project and oh so fitting that we finished it so near our five year {wooden} anniversary.  It also goes pretty well with the kitchen cupboards I painted white just a couple days ago.  This house is feeling more and more mine every day.

Next we plan to make twin beds for the kids.

This entry was posted in celebration, craft, frugal living, homesteading, life, our cabin, recipes, tutorials + DIY. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm by Misty Pratt | Permalink

Absolutely gorgeous! Ummm, how do you keep your kitchen this clean? lol

• Posted June 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm by erin | Permalink

I should have taken a picture of our front room to balance this shot 😉

2. Posted June 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm by Karen | Permalink

Nice!
    And such a pretty table it is.

3. Posted June 3, 2012 at 9:56 pm by Meryl | Permalink

So beautiful! Very well done!

4. Posted June 3, 2012 at 10:05 pm by Lynnette | Permalink

We made this table too! My husband made it in the winter outside in the garage and then brought it in with the woodstove going. So.. we have some cracks but it is much better than our old little one. Hope you continue to enjoy your table.

5. Posted June 4, 2012 at 8:05 am by tameka | Permalink

It’s beautiful.

6. Posted June 4, 2012 at 9:52 am by Emmy | Permalink

A job well done! It looks amazing. It’s so wonderful to have some tangible result to your hard work, is it not?

~emmy

7. Posted June 4, 2012 at 9:54 am by Amberlea | Permalink

Beautiful! Mark and I have some wood planks that a friend cut from a felled oak in Lakefield — we’re hoping to make a harvest table; that is after the deck we’re building is finished! :)

• Posted June 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm by erin | Permalink

You two make beautiful things together.

8. Posted June 4, 2012 at 10:07 am by Kim | Permalink

It looks lovely and so perfect in your home.

There is such a satisfaction when you make things on your own, love that feeling. We do a lot of that, and try our best to use what we have or find on the forest floor :) My hubby has a habit of visiting farmers with barns that have fallen down to see if he can take the wood…we are currently building the chicken coop with some.

• Posted June 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm by erin | Permalink

i love barn board! We would have more of it if we only had that trailer hitch we keep talking about 😉

9. Posted June 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm by Stephinie | Permalink

awesome!!

10. Posted June 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm by erica | Permalink

this table is amazing. your sweet family is so inspiring!

11. Posted June 4, 2012 at 5:00 pm by Ana | Permalink

I am thoroughly impressed!

12. Posted June 4, 2012 at 8:00 pm by Stephanie K. | Permalink

Wow! It’s so lovely. What a huge accomplishment…here’s to all the new laughs, spills, conversations, table manners learned, meals shared, hands held in blessing, and hopefully card and board games to be had around your “new” family heirloom!

13. Posted June 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm by Manda | Permalink

So envious of this!! Beautiful!

14. Posted June 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm by Danielle Grabiel | Permalink

oh snap is right. it’s beautiful!

15. Posted June 6, 2012 at 1:20 am by KC | Permalink

All I can say is AMAZING! When I scrolled down to the picture of it stained I dropped my jaw a little. So lovely, well done!

16. Posted June 6, 2012 at 6:46 am by lily boot | Permalink

It’s beautiful! And I love the layout for the table top. I’ve just thrifted (from roadside rubbish) a lovely table base – four turned legs with apron attached – which needs a new top. I’m heading off to the recycled timber depot ’cause I was thinking the floorboards look – but I love how you’ve added the “border” at top and bottom. Hopefully, I shall do the same. I love nesting – glad to see a fellow nester having a good time :-)

• Posted June 6, 2012 at 11:11 am by erin | Permalink

Sounds like an awesome find! The top was the easiest part I think.
      Good luck and leave a link to the pic if you’d like :)
      E.

17. Posted June 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm by coleen | Permalink

Love, love, love the table!

18. Posted June 12, 2012 at 9:11 am by Tonya | Permalink

Your table came out beautifully.