just a smattering

Excuse my absence from this space.
Our computer died a few weeks ago so I have had little to no access to my photos.
I swear, if I wasn’t married to the IT guy, I wouldn’t even have one of these fickle creatures.

So just a smattering of photos, bits, and bobs, and a sincere hope to return to this space on a regular basis soon.

I am planning on a little Facebook detox.
Nothing dramatic or final.
A mere deactivation of my account.
Just to see how it feels.
I am sure I will be back (I always go back), but here’s hoping…
Just need to tie up some lose ends.

If you’d like to contact me, you can find me here, or my email info up in the right hand corner of this space.

Better yet, lets exchange letters or recipes snipped from magazines.

I hope to take the time I spend lolly-gagging on Facebook and finally answer some of those kind and heartfelt emails that frequent my inbox and haunt me in those last wee hours of the day.

This entry was posted in bits + bobs, life, photography + writing, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm by mel | Permalink

oh you beauty… and the way you capture it! love it.
    happy detox… and love your header btw!
    xo

2. Posted June 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm by elizabeth | Permalink

hi erin! i always enjoy your posts and pictures. so much so that i mentioned your blog on mine today. come visit, if you like. ~e

• Posted June 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm by erin | Permalink

How very kind of you! Thank you so much!

3. Posted June 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm by Mycelium | Permalink

It’s interesting how so many of us feel the need to resist Facebook. I went through a period of deactiviation last summer. I was gone for more than a month and it felt … light. Like the weight of keeping up with it all just lifted itself from my shoulders. The addiction of it completely subsided after about a week and I did find myself spending more time outside or even inside but with the computer off.
    I eventually reactivated the account because I learned the value of connecting with, learning from and sharing information with like-minded individuals in a way that I would never be able to if it weren’t for the marvel of the internet.
    This is not to say that moderation isn’t important — it is. It’s what separates any healthy activity from being an addictive, time-wasting engagement.
    And as for the idea that it substitutes meaningful interaction … I guess that depends on how you use/abuse it. I find that it has helped me save time during the day (when I would have to call to set up a gathering) by sending messages at night after the little ones are asleep. And the newsfeed keeps me in the loop of the interesting things the people I care about are up to (like you!). Things that I wouldn’t otherwise know, but are super interesting or that I can learn from. Because really, before FB, how often did we all call each other anyway to tell each other about some awesome new music, or a great book, or to raise awareness about a ridiculous bill that the government is passing, or … or … the list goes on.

Anyway, best of luck with your detox : ) Hope you’re ok with us popping by one of these days on our way up to the cottage. We’ve driven by already a couple of times. Your house is a marker on our trip for how much longer it will be until we’re there : )

Cheers, friend.

• Posted June 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm by erin | Permalink

I totally understand what you’re saying. It is great for many things, but sometimes it leaves me feeling empty. Empty comments on photos, hundreds of birthday wishes and yet somehow feeling all alone…
      I just want to break the hourly habit of refreshing the page to see what is happening. I will keep it because there are some super people on it (yourself included), contacts for local homeschooling, great links and reads, etc. I just want to feel free from it for a little while and return for weekly checkups or something.
      Please do stop in sometime! If you can, just let me know ahead of time so I can be a little prepared and clean 😉
      much love,

4. Posted June 13, 2012 at 7:16 am by Heather | Permalink

I could use a facebook detox as well. I am actually taking a blogging break at the moment :-) Every time I deactivate my facebook, half of my family believes that I have died. So now I just try to not check it all the time…not entirely easy…but easier than answering the phone all hours of the day and night to let everyone know that I am, indeed, still alive and have not deleted them from my friends list :-)

• Posted June 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm by erin | Permalink

What did we ever do before Facebook eh?! Too funny.
      We shall see how it goes.

5. Posted June 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm by Stephanie K. | Permalink

Our internet service was down for a month or so and I developed a lovely rhythm of going to bed early with lots of time to read a good book before falling asleep. I enjoyed the break from it all, and didn’t miss any of it a bit. Sure enough, as soon as it was all up and running, I was too. My kids seem less happy, my house is messier, and I’m kinda crabbier. So I’m with you…time to turn the darn thing off for awhile/ever? Hooray to handwritten letters…count me in.

• Posted June 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm by erin | Permalink

I so hear what you’re saying…i want to keep the good parts, but know that it is possible. I love blogging and have actually COMPLETED so many projects because of Pinterest, but I may just be ready to leave facebook behind…we shall see how the fast goes. So far I feel more in tune with the real world.
      I do hope that our friendship grows especially considering without the internet we would not have met…
      much love!

6. Posted June 13, 2012 at 10:26 pm by Ana | Permalink

Beautiful photos. I love all your little animals that are joining your home. Sweet bunny!