making peace with mornings

Summer is beginning to give way to autumn.  I feel it in the early mornings as the temperature dips into the 50’s and I see it in the sumac trees who are just beginning to blush.  The kids and I made our way out to the hen house early this morning before we eagerly wandered to the apple tree.  You see, she has begun dropping her apples and we have quickly fallen back into our late summer ritual of visiting her often.  We decided to follow the trail a little further just to see if we could find any last blackberries.  We didn’t.

With a basket full of apples, a handful of eggs, and some serious bedhead we made our way to the pond where the quiet was deep.  We sat for a moment or two and I let my mind wander into next summer to the camping and paddling we hope to do on this land and in this water we are so fortunate to have use of.  Silas kept us moving though, and as we made our way back to the house, I broke into an easy jog and the kids squealed with delight at the game of chase.  We ran until we reached the mouth of the forest where we could feel the heat of the day settling into its place.  Poppy found an apple with a snail gripping tightly to it and insisted we bring it home to place in a jar.   We did, and as I write this she is clutching her snail jar with love and watching a Christmas movie (she is my daughter after all).

Might I just say, I was a skeptic of early morning magic for my whole life.  I knew there had to be something to what everyone was telling me, but mornings always made me uneasy with their dark and quiet tendrils.  According to Deepak and the Ayurvedic principles, the ideal time to sleep is between 10pm and 6am due to certain times of the day being ruled by specific Doshas.  Since we have been waking in the dark hours to exercise and chat I find that we have fallen naturally into these productive times of sleep and movement.  I feel less sluggish and more motivated to begin small projects around the house.  I can often be found rearranging furniture, painting, hanging pictures, and tidying as Mike pulls out of the driveway and Silas plays quietly.  Yesterday I reorganized all our books, toys and dvds and began planning some homeschooling sort of activities for fall.  Last week, I painted the stairs, an old trunk and the kitchen wall and trim.  Today I hope to pick some new Pinterest recipes and projects to do with the kids.

I may just be an early morning convert.

This entry was posted in family, life, our cabin, wellness. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm by Heather | Permalink

I have been trying to wake earlier these days, it seems to help my routine. I feel more productive, and I have less restless nights, which is a big bonus in my book :-)

2. Posted August 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm by lily boot | Permalink

sounds full of peace but energy too .. we too have been trying to explore the earlier hours of the morning – and when I climb straight out of bed, after the alarm has gone off, I am indeed more alert and enthusiastic about the day the lies ahead. There’s definitely something in it :-) Enjoy your last days of summer and warmth!

3. Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:59 am by Karen | Permalink

In my late teens I fought off my internal clock that continued to wake me at 6:00, despite the fact that my competitive swimming days were over.
    Since having children the mornings have become a wonderful time of day for me – especially in those quiet moments before anyone has joined me downstairs. And since becoming a homeschooling family, the morning rush to get out the door is in the past which makes things all the more lovely.
    Your post conveys the morning love.

4. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:26 am by KC | Permalink

Early mornings are our best times here too. That when it’s coolest and we can enjoy being outside. After 8 am forget it!

5. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:39 am by JC | Permalink

I’ve been trying to get into the morning rhythm all summer. Now you’ve inspired me to try again by just doing it, instead of waiting for that imaginary morning when I am not craving an extra hour or ten of sleep.

6. Posted August 17, 2012 at 6:44 am by Vanessa | Permalink

I love mornings, especially during summer when I try and avoid the heat of the day. Mornings are fresh and they hold a promise. Having said, they don’t hold the same kind of magic since toddlerhood dictates what happens around here recently, but I’m hoping I’ll get back to those slow pottering mornings again one day! So lovely to find you.

7. Posted September 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm by cindy baldwin | Permalink

My husband (a devout lover of early mornings) swears that everyone is a “morning person,” they just don’t know it yet. I have a lot of health problems that make me more of an “early to bed, late to rise” person due to an enormous need for sleep, but even if I’m not waking in the dark most days, I do love the quiet of the morning.