feather + anchor photography

So, the secret is out, I have decided to start a wee photography business; slowly and organically of course.  It is not the first time I have considered something like this, it has been on the radar for sometime now.  I have been asked numerous times if I would be interested in taking family photos for friends, but have rarely said yes.  The truth is, it is the business plan that makes me feel most vulnerable.  I have backed away from that nervous pang in my belly whenever I thought about putting myself out there like that.  So, as a big fan of vulnerability for the greater good, I have decided that something that both enlivens and frightens me is something worth trying.  The only way to get past the unease is to step into and move through it.

I really am just a girl with a camera, but photography is something I have always loved.  Other crafts and hobbies come and go, but I always return to my camera, just as I always return to writing.  When I am doing anything; anything at all, I think about how I would frame it and how I would write it.   I guess that makes me a photographer and a writer,  if I may be so bold.  I have grown as both and don’t intend to ever stop developing new skills.

I was hoping that Dancing Rabbit Daycare would be fulfilling while also bringing in some extra money, but the truth is, I need to do something more creative and,well, adult.  I need to make pretty things.  I knew it in my gut, but thought it was worth a try.  It has been really wonderful for our kids and for my own personal growth, but it will be ending within the next couple of months and I have decided that my photography will be the next chapter in my quest for self- fulfillment while still being an attentive and focused stay at home mama.  It will allow for more flexibility so we can join our fellow homeschoolers in gatherings such as this.

I will spend the fall and winter months building a portfolio of sorts (with shoots such as this one with the kind folks of Bedrock + Brambles); playing and perfecting; acquiring necessary tools and basic props; and creating secure and crisp online galleries (I apologize for the lack of crispness in the current photos and galleries).  I will also be tweaking (not switching) the current website, creating a price list, and defining my style and offerings in the process.  Come spring I will be ready and prepared to take it all on.

I will be offering candid and casual  family, children, maternity, newborn, and pet portraits paired with natural light and beautiful scenery or backgrounds.  I would also be interested in doing product shots of art and  handmade items and photos for small businesses, from farms to jewelry, for online promotion.  I have plans to create a simple and small in-home studio useful for newborn sessions as well as pet portraits and product photography,etc.  I also love the idea of shooting on location and capturing the artist, family,  farmer, or pet at work and play in their own element.

I would love to hear from you.  Have you had a positive/negative experience with a family photographer?  What made it great or not so great.  What do you do with your family and pet portraits?  Do you print them?  Give them as gifts?  Would birth announcements, canvases, over sized prints, and other specialty offers be of interest to you?  Have you ever thought of having professional photos taken for your small business or farm promotion?

Feel free to leave a comment here or email me at applesforpoppyanne@hotmail.com with your thoughts or if you are interested in your own photo session.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm by Stephinie | Permalink

oh this is really wonderful!
    cheers to new beginnings and creative fulfillment!
    xo
    ~s

2. Posted October 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm by Danielle G | Permalink

I’d hire you in a split second if you lived anywhere near me!

3. Posted October 10, 2012 at 5:26 pm by Joe kelly | Permalink

Good luck and have fun. Don”t let the monetization of it zap your spirit, it is nessecarily that money come in, it is not nesseccary to feel guilty about it. Wish I could take over Dacing Rabitts for you.

4. Posted October 11, 2012 at 1:45 am by KC | Permalink

I tried for a while to do commercial work in college while I was getting my art degree. I found that I needed to really have things organized. Before I started doing shoots for strangers I made sure that I knew how to deal with all lighting situations, what I was going to charge and if I would print them or not. I ended up not printing my own out of lack of time.

Don’t cheat yourself when you price your packages. It’s hard work! You deserve the money.

Congratulations and best of luck!

5. Posted October 11, 2012 at 7:12 am by Nicole | Permalink

Omg! Your words come from inside my heart and I feel everything you said was what I couldn’t say for myself. I started a daycare and have invested my everything into it. But I keep coming back to art and photography. I have been paralyzed with fear- thinking, the world doesn’t need another photographer and that why should i get paid for it. I believed I stumbled upon you blog a couple months ago and was in awe immediately and now i know why i kept reading. You are such an inspiration. I miss writing, i miss my 35mm. I wish i could steal you for a cup or pot of coffee and pick your brain for hours. What camera do you use. It’s a long shot- i know you are one busy mama, but any advise you can give would be so appreciated- I want to cry I’m so full of emotions right now! Bravo! Follow your heart!

6. Posted October 11, 2012 at 7:12 am by Emma | Permalink

Best wishes for your new business. Your photographs are wonderful, I’m sure you are going to have much success.
    I think the picture of the cat waiting for the child to jump off the washtub would make a fantastic note card.

7. Posted October 11, 2012 at 7:17 am by Greer | Permalink

Good for you! Your photos are always beautiful. x

8. Posted October 11, 2012 at 9:41 am by Tanya Hulbert | Permalink

I love your style. Great job capturing the moments. They quickly pass and this is a great way for families to cherish them forever. Beautiful.

9. Posted October 11, 2012 at 9:54 am by dre | Permalink

Woot! Congratulations—this is going to be awesome! Good for you for taking the leap.

10. Posted October 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm by Misty Pratt | Permalink

We had a wonderful experience with our first maternity/family photo session (except the one for our wedding – she was also good). I loved how good she was with our 3yo daughter, and got her to laugh and smile so much in the pictures. It clearly took a lot of energy, as she spent most of the shoot lying on the ground, jupming around and playing with puppets!! lol Her website is: http://www.saramcconnell.ca – she is an incredible blogger as well!