a tiny winter romp

After a lunch of soup and banana muffins we made our way outside.  Our chickens, after all, have begun laying again.  It is only our second “first egg”, but it still feels like such a sacred thing so I used it for our muffins to be sure it would be savoured and devoured.

We are enjoying the quiet days of January.  I am always sad to see my favourite season end, but we are easing back into the year by spending lots of time inside by the fire and baking.  I haven’t begun thinking about gardens or outside projects yet.  My mind is still inside.  Winter is long, but it will make spring that much sweeter.  I would be lost without the Canadian seasons.

This little girl looked so wonderfully pretty against the stark background I was glad I decided to grab my camera on the way out.  S decided it wasn’t his day to be photographed and kept his distance.  P looked like a little Nordic dream; her hair wild and her eyes blue.  I have been catching glimpses of my own grandmother (her middle namesake) of late too.  It both surprises and comforts me.

What do your post holiday days look like?

This entry was posted in family, life, photography + writing. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 1:53 pm by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

Oh goodness, she looks JUST like her mama!

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 2:31 pm by Waverley | Permalink

I used to really dislike the post holiday let down and the long days of January and February – until I changed my perspective. Now I see January and February as a reward for making it through the busy work of spring, summer, fall and the holiday season. In January and February I have permission to just be. No presents to make, things to plant, weed or harvest. Its the time to give my children lots of attention and, when they are in bed, to stare out the window, read, or craft something just because I want to.

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm by Michelle | Permalink

I don’t think I knew you lived in Canada? Which province? I am from SK.

4. Posted January 9, 2013 at 8:10 pm by Kim | Permalink

Beautiful!

5. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:53 pm by Brydie Pereda | Permalink

Such beautiful photos. Gorgeous.

6. Posted January 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm by elizabeth | Permalink