twenty eight

We woke to fresh snow and warmer temperatures.

The house was warmer by 6:30 am than it was after an entire day of heat in last week’s deep freeze.

Before noon I had ironed Mike’s work clothes, enjoyed a few sips of bitter coffee, gave the kids breakfast and snacks, tidied, sorted laundry, washed and hung two loads of laundry, baked two lemon meringue pies (with Poppy’s help), made one large pot of quinoa, bean and veggie soup with dumplings, checked for eggs and played in the snow with the kids.

For the afternoon the kids played silly games, Silas napped, I attempted to read Anne of Green Gables to Poppy (no dice), we looked at books, and I was able to find a slightly bigger crochet hook to continue the basic crocheted blanket I have started.

No one ate my soup (I think it may be time to take out of the rotation for a while).

This entry was posted in 365 photo project. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 28, 2013 at 6:32 pm by Kim | Permalink

Sounds like a busy, but fun day. I tried reading Little House in the Big Woods to my little man a few weeks ago, no dice either. I guess it will be another year or two before he is ready.

I would eat your soup :)

2. Posted January 28, 2013 at 9:32 pm by meghan | Permalink

those productive days feel just right. we’re nearing a soup revolt here, my 9 year old informed me last week he’s ‘souped out’ I was brave enough to serve some ministrone on Sunday night. A side of plate home-made popcorn, dill pickles, and cheese alongside the soup seemed to help… I think he was shocked! 😉

3. Posted January 29, 2013 at 7:58 am by Michelle | Permalink

That sucks when no one likes the meal doesn’t it. How old is Poppy? Maybe she is too young for Anne. I love Anne myeslf but haven’t read it to my 9 year old yet. The first book we read to her was Wizard of Oz and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

• Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:28 am by erin | Permalink

She isn’t even four yet, so yes, it was much to early, I just thought it would be nice to read something I also enjoyed…win win.
      I wonder if she would go for either of those you mentioned….hmmm.
      Thanks!

4. Posted January 29, 2013 at 8:04 am by dre | Permalink

Heat is good. As is a productive day.

5. Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:25 am by Robyn Da Costa | Permalink

Did Mike even say no to the soup after all that work? :)

• Posted January 29, 2013 at 9:27 am by erin | Permalink

Ha! He and Poppy gagged it down…sigh.
      Poppy was motivated by the lemon meringue pie that came after, but Mike hates that too so he just ate it to avoid the wrath of a tired housebound wifey 😉

6. Posted January 29, 2013 at 10:20 am by Joan | Permalink

Ahhh! It’s so frustrating when they don’t eat the dinner! Although, I am known to reject some of my husbands meals like when he made spaghetti sauce with a ton of rosemary and sage in it. Make the food, eat the food, clean the food. It’s a never ending cycle and sometimes it’s nice to have popcorn or cereal for dinner!