Oh, and this happened…

Yes, yes, you read that test right.  We are in fact pregnant with baby number three!  It is very early and it may not be proper baby etiquette to share so early, but we are terrible keepers of secrets.  It would seem that Poppy was actually the first to know about it though!  She had drawn the above family portrait (minus the little red baby) weeks earlier and we had it hanging on the fridge.  About a week before we found out, she went to the fridge with a red pen and drew the extra little body into our family.  When we asked who it was she said it was the baby.  Like whoa.

To be honest, we thought we were done, but if I am being really honest, I mostly just wanted to be done being pregnant.  I am not sure that I ever stopped wanting a third.  We even went so far as to look up the number of the local “Gentle Vasectomy Clinic” only to find that they had closed the month before due to retirement.  I took it as a sign; Mike was just plain relieved.

Pregnancy and I have never been really great friends, but we tolerated each other…barely.  This time I am going to speak with my Naturopath in hopes of finding a homeopathic solution for the all day nausea that has already begun to show itself and generally lasts until about 16 weeks.  The bean soup I have loved for the past year is the first food aversion and Mike couldn’t be happier to see it leave our meal plan.  Now, I know nausea isn’t an unusual symptom to deal with, but it knocks me into a non-productive, low grade depression, and early weight gain.  So, in hopes of enjoying this final pregnancy, I will attempt to nip it in the bud early.  Please feel free to share your own nausea-busting methods with me!

Well, don’t I just sound all matter of fact!  We are giddy and excited to add to our little family, but it feels so different from our first and even our  second.  We feel a bit wiser, we know what it means with regards to sleep, and siblings, and outings. I also know not to worry about my heart being big enough for all this love because I have felt it happen before.  We also know this will teach us things only three children could teach us.  We have no doubt that it will be both insane and, ultimately, wonderful!

Well, there you have it folks!  News as it happens, and I am so happy to share the happy news with everyone.

This entry was posted in celebration, family, life. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm by Lisa | Permalink

Congratulations and big hugs to you all!!!

2. Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm by Christa Ormiston | Permalink

Great news!!! I feel the same pregnant. I actually did go to a Naturopath with Brielle. She was able to give me many tricks that helped a lot! The best was a little bead on the back of a small band-aid that sat on a pressure point above my wrist when I felt sick. I would rub it in for a few moments and it helped. Also, she can me a powder I could drink that acts much like Gatorade, but with less sugar that kept me hydrated. She also gave me some other things to take. It was great, wish I had of done it the first go of it!!
    I feel your pain, but it is so worth it.
    All the best on your new amazing journey!

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm by erin | Permalink

Glad to hear it Christa! Am I mistaken or did you also have c-sections?
      Thanks so much for sharing!

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm by Christa Ormiston | Permalink

Yes, with all three. I really wanted to go natural, but it didn’t work out for me. They wouldn’t even entertain the idea for the 3rd.

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm by erin | Permalink

I always find that comforting because it feels like I am pushing it, but I don’t think three is too crazy. This will be the last one for sure though.
          Thanks again :)
          e

3. Posted February 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm by Meryl | Permalink

Congratulations!

4. Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm by Miet | Permalink

Congratulations! That is wonderful!
    I also felt terrible in the beginning weeks of my pregnancies, but I asked my midwife for Diclectin, which helped me wonderfully with the morning sickness. I would have liked something more natural, but nothing I tried worked> (Never tried homeopathic remedies, though).

Wishing you all the best!!

5. Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm by Bonnie | Permalink

Congratulations! That’s great news! My family felt s complete after we had our third.

One thing that has started to come up now, though…the other day the kids (ages 10, 9, & 5) wanted to have some sort of treat and when we said no, my oldest said “well, technically, you are outnumbered. There are 3 of us saying yes!”

Ha!

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 5:00 pm by erin | Permalink

Glad to hear it took that long for them to start using it against you though 😉
      Thanks for the kinds words

6. Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm by Diane | Permalink

This is such exciting news! I’m very happy for you, Mile, Poppy and Silas. ❤

• Posted February 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm by erin | Permalink

Thanks!
      Joe said you both knew from how I commented on your pic last night. To be fair, it is a lovely picture, but yes I have been a little emotional of late :)
      Much Love

7. Posted February 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm by Lynnette | Permalink

I love the drawing! perhaps a warm ginger tea would help. Small sips during the day…I hear you don’t need lots of ginger just enough to be able to taste it. sweetened with honey :) I hope this pregnancy will be safe and magical…without the troubles. :)

8. Posted February 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm by Teresa C | Permalink

Congratulations!

9. Posted February 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm by Kim | Permalink

Such exciting news, congratulations!!! Did you try extra B6 for the morning sickness, it can help. I had the all day morning sickness and while the B6 didn’t completely get rid of it, it did make it a little more manageable.

10. Posted February 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm by Greer | Permalink

great news! Good luck with the nausea…it will all be wonderful in the end, I know x

11. Posted February 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm by Misty Pratt | Permalink

Congrats Erin! As a fellow nausea (and serious vomiting) sufferer, I know where you’re coming from! My first pregnancy I took Diclectin, which is so not a natural remedy, but it worked! My second pregnancy I toughed it out, and got by on the “white diet” – white bread, plain pasta, KD and ice cream :) It felt like it would never end, but 16 weeks rolled around and it did! Just try to tell yourself it’s not forever!

12. Posted February 1, 2013 at 7:36 pm by Heather H | Permalink

Congratulations! Much joy to you all!
    Nausea-busting?-SeaBands and ginger pills (somewhat helpful) & it is prescription, & I was initially hesitant, but it worked..Diclectin.

13. Posted February 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm by Carrie | Permalink

Congrats!! So exciting! I too am currently pregnant with baby #3 (just over 26 weeks along)! I was one of those very lucky ones with my first two pregnancies experiencing only very mild nausea during the first trimester but really nothing to complain about. Pregnancy #3 was a completely different story – I suffered pretty severe nausea and vomiting until 17-18 weeks. I tried everything – ginger, gingerale, watermelon, ginger tea, ginger tablets (250 mg 4 x’s/day) and Vitamin B6. By week 8-9 I couldn’t even get out of bed without breaking a sweat and running to the washroom despite my best efforts…I did end up taking diclectin (combination of Vit B6 and an antihistamine) which REALLY helped my nausea but contributed to my fatigue :( Although it was the only thing that enabled me to go to work every day and care for my kiddies. Luckily I was able to start weaning the diclectin at ~ week 14-15 and was able to stop taking it completely by week 18. The best advice I can give is to keep meals small and bland, separate drinking fluids from meals, and the ginger tablets did help quite a bit. I got pretty sick of drinking ginger tea — to the point it actually contributed to my nausea! Regardless I really do love being pregnant 😉 Congrats again!! It is such a special time.

14. Posted February 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm by Meghan | Permalink

Before I’d even read the post, I was in tears because of Poppy’s drawing — it perfectly illustrates the miracle that is each new little “someone” who comes along. Big congrattulations to your family.

15. Posted February 2, 2013 at 2:31 am by Susan | Permalink

Congratulations little family! It is always such the exciting kind of news!

16. Posted February 2, 2013 at 6:28 am by Emma | Permalink

Congratulations!
    I ‘eased’ my nausea by drinking fizzy mineral water (big glass) with 250g peach (juiced), 1 inch fresh chopped root ginger and a few mint leaves.

17. Posted February 2, 2013 at 7:43 am by cindy baldwin | Permalink

Congratulations and good luck! In my experience, there are three factors that go into morning sickness – 1. hormones, 2. acid reflux, and 3. low blood sugar. Obviously there’s not much you can do about the first, but I found that I did a LOT better in general if I was careful with my diet and frequency of eating to help minimize 2 & 3. And getting enough sleep for some reason made a big difference, too… often that was the difference between an “I want to die” day and a “I don’t feel great but I can deal with it” day. Also, citrus fruits=great nausea soothers!

I also wore those motion sickness bracelets nonstop until at least 20 weeks and still pull them out when I’m traveling in later pregnancy. I had always wondered if they really helped, but for me at least they did. Not enough to kick the nausea to the curb, but enough to make it bearable… esp when traveling when I had truly debilitating motion sickness!

18. Posted February 2, 2013 at 7:54 am by christine m | Permalink

oh you are SO lucky! I wanted a third so much…

19. Posted February 2, 2013 at 8:23 am by Michelle | Permalink

Congratulations! We had three little girls close together. Numbers 2 and 3 were 11 months apart! But I was young, just 20 when they were born. Now that I am OLD 😉 we just have on 9 year old girl and sometimes I wonder how I did it all. I just did. And you just will. :)

20. Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:11 am by Waverley | Permalink

Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your family.

21. Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:21 am by Stephanie K. | Permalink

I was appalled, then astounded, then eventually overjoyed to find we were pregnant with our fourth. And it’s so very true…your love expands to fit them all in. We can’t imagine life without Norah, and Margot (both kinda surprises!) and I get now how people can have 6 or 12 kids and love every single one so deeply. We’re so happy for you! My nausea was the worst this last pregnancy and it wasn’t even THAT bad…just annoying. I’m sorry you have to deal with it. Eat before you get out of bed? Sip ginger tea? Lots of soda crackers? I dunno. Wish I could help! But you’re going to love the beautiful madness of three!!

22. Posted February 2, 2013 at 11:07 am by dre | Permalink

WOOT!!!

23. Posted February 2, 2013 at 1:57 pm by Cheyenne | Permalink

Congrats!!!! Little ones always seem to know something special before us!!!! Try fruit juice popsicles for nausea – I lived on them with my first. Hope you feel good again soon.
    Chey xo

24. Posted February 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm by jessica | Permalink

Congratulations Erin!
    I had my fourth and final c-section in 2011 and it was tough but it can be done!
    So happy for your beautiful family!

25. Posted February 3, 2013 at 7:17 am by Sherrie | Permalink

Lovely, and congratulations! I love Poppy’s drawing, and I do think these little ones know things that we don’t. :) Hope your nausea stays at bay.

26. Posted February 3, 2013 at 10:16 am by Kelly | Permalink

Congratulations! I don’t know you personally but I love your blog. If this eases your worries about c-sections, I’ve also had 3. The first two were unplanned after very long and difficult labours and the 3rd was scheduled. For me, the 3rd c-section was by far the easiest with the shortest recovery time. Hope this helps to alleviate your anxiety about a 3rd section. Also, Dr. Maskens, from Peterborough, performed the 3rd c-section and he was amazing!! The procedure was quick, painless and he even cut out my old scar tissue so my scar is minimal and that little “shelf’ you get after a section is smaller than after my first 2 babies!! He even let me put the baby to the breast immediately after.

27. Posted February 3, 2013 at 2:38 pm by Kate | Permalink

Hi! We don’t know each other but I love your blog. Congratulations! I had our third 4 months ago and it has been so nice. Of course there are crazy moments, but there is something magical with three. Somehow the energy gets dispersed in a really cool way. I wanted to share with you that the only thing that helped my nausea was exercise (kind of annoying I know). I got the best pregnancy exercise dvd and it really helped decrease my sickness. It also helped keep my spirits up by feeling like I wasn’t just sitting around and getting huge. I can send it to you if you want it! We are all done having babies (3 is perfect). congratulations again! Kate M.

28. Posted February 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm by Kate | Permalink

i forgot that ginger and lemon helped too. trader joes has ginger chews that really helped, and hot water with fresh lemon with honey. my Dr told me that eating protein (like nuts) helps too. it was so hard to force down the protein, but when i did i felt so much better. an empty stomach is the worst thing you can do… good luck! Kate

29. Posted February 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm by jody | Permalink

What wonderful news! Congrats to you all. xo

30. Posted February 4, 2013 at 10:41 am by April | Permalink

Amazing :) Congratulations!!!

31. Posted February 4, 2013 at 4:23 pm by Sherri | Permalink

Congratulations! I enjoy reading your blog, and wish you all the very best as you move through this pregnancy and prepare to welcome your third little person home. We have two, and would have loved a third but it was not meant to be. Nausea is no fun but a cold, wet cloth on the back of the neck and/or forehead can help when it strikes suddenly. I can recall, early in my pregnancy with our youngest, my husband opening a can of tuna in our kitchen. I was sitting at least 10 feet away at our dining table. I literally couldn’t get away from the kitchen fast enough – the smell of that tuna still haunts me. Hoping for an easy time for you!!!

32. Posted February 7, 2013 at 10:31 pm by Kate | Permalink

Congratulations. We just had our third a few months ago and it’s amazing. I feel so much more settled into being a mom this time and I don’t stress so much. I am busy as all get out (the oldest will be 4 this year), but I enjoy the momming stuff more. I’m the same with the nausea and all the crap that goes with it. I staved it off longer this last time with a high protein diet, and snacking a lot (nuts are fantastic!) to keep my blood sugar from dropping. I get worse when my blood sugar is up and down a lot, or just down at all. Good luck with the gross stuff!

33. Posted February 11, 2013 at 7:45 pm by Jenna | Permalink

congrats on your pregnancy! What a blessing! I think it’s so amazing what our little ones pick up on, sometimes even before we do! Perhaps the angels tell them :) Hope you can find some relief for your nausea.