hello + welcome little one

So far, my attempts at getting a nice shot of all three has been…well, like this.
This may be our Christmas card this year.

Some of you may or may not recall that I was pregnant.

I was scheduled for my third c-section on Thursday September, 26th.

Little Miss Clementine had other plans.

I awoke at 5:30 am on Tuesday September, 24th with stronger than normal contractions and they were coming irregularly, but around every 15 to 20 minutes.  As I was ironing Mike’s work clothes I told Mike he should probably stay home with me until things settled.  I had a warm bath because that had stopped contractions earlier in the week a couple times (I had a feeling I was going to go early).  Instead they started becoming more frequent at about every 8 minutes and I found myself wanting to hold my breath as they came; they were getting stronger.  We called the midwife and they told us to come in to be assessed and to bring our hospital bags.

By 9 am I was at 2 centimeters and we were on our way to the Orillia Hospital an hour and a half away.  I was having one or two lighter contractions and then one hard one about every 5 minutes all the way there.  By the time I was taken into triage I was 4 centimeters.  I saw nurse after nurse, was hooked up to the monitor, IV placed, blood and urine samples taken.  I was told I would be having my c-section that day, but they didn’t have a time yet.

I continued to go through my contractions alone and quietly (so as not to disturb the two other women in the room) on a rather uncomfortable exam table.  Mike tried to come in and hold my hand, but the kids’ were too antsy and the loudness made the contractions worse.  The contractions were getting more intense and frequent and they still didn’t have a time for the OR.

A nurse checked me again around 11:30 or 12:00 and I was 7 centimeters.  I remember she said it was time to get the lead out now and the surgeon finally came to check me.  He said, with very wide eyes, that I was more like 8 centimeters.  He asked me if I wanted to do this naturally.  This was the point I lost all composure and became terrified.  I had no idea what to do.  I was still frightened I would rupture.  I was terrified of the pain.  I wasn’t prepared for any of this.  The contractions were on top of each other now.  People were asking if I wanted to have Mike in the OR with me or the midwife.  I couldn’t think straight.

As they rolled me to the OR, they stopped in a room to check me again and I was still 8 centimeters.  By the time I got to the OR doors, my water broke.  They moved me to the metal table and turned on the huge lights above me.  The urge to push was crushing me as they attempted to place a catheter, and strap me to the table flat on my back which made the contractions unbearable.  I begged them to make the pain stop.  I was sobbing and so frightened.  This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen.  Then they placed the mask over my mouth and told me to take deep breaths.  One breath.  Two breaths.  Three breaths.  Darkness.  No dreams or visions, just blackness.  I found out later that I was fully dilated by that point.

I awoke in the recovery room to someone asking if I knew what I had and I recall apologizing to the anesthesiologist who was standing beside me.  He smiled and said it was ok, that I did a great job considering the circumstances.  It was a slow climb out of grogginess as the pain settled in and I kept waking thinking I was still in labour.

I was finally able to hold her and nurse her once I was rolled to our room, but it was all a bit foggy.  Mike left to take the kids home where my mom and step dad were waiting.  Our midwife sat with me and we chatted.  She asked if she could drink my tea if I didn’t want it and fed me ice chips and jello.  Then  I found out they were going to keep Clementine in the nursery overnight due to her needing a couple artificial breaths to get her started again.  There were two different stories of what happened in the OR and they ended up calling a “code pink” (pediatric emergency), but looking back we figure someone jumped the gun.

I awoke from broken sleep around 8pm and was frustrated.  Where was Mike?  Where was my baby?  I needed to nurse her again.  Then Mike walked through the door and a nurse arrived with a wheel chair to take me to the nursery.  We spent a lot of time sitting in the nursery holding and nursing her that night.

She was finally allowed to stay in our room at noon the next day and all was right again.  We were discharged from the hospital on Thursday, the 26th.  The day she was supposed to be born.

I have had time to process all that happened and how it happened.  It is interesting that with my first birth, I wanted a natural birth with midwives, but ended up with a c-section after pushing for nearly 3 hours.  With my second birth, I went back and forth between wanting a VBAC and scheduling a c-section still feeling like a bit of a failure for not having the natural birth we all hear so much about.  Just a week or two before the birth day, we decided we were most comfortable with the planned c-section.  After that, I was at peace with the way it all went down.  I was prepared and at peace with having a baby this way.

I am well aware that c-sections are happening far too often and are not the ideal, but I am also  grateful for the surgery.  I became very aware of the subtle ways women shame each other about their birth experiences and choices.  I hated every article I read about how c-sections hinder bonding and breastfeeding and ridiculous birth imprinting.  It is all bull shit.  I became annoyed when hippies would assume I had a home birth and looked at me with pity and perhaps even a little arrogance as I told them I had c-sections.  One guy even said “Oh, sorry to hear that.” when I told him I was scheduled for the surgery the next week.

There was a time I felt robbed of that one womanly experience.  It felt like such a foreign concept that babies could be born naturally.  I read Ina May, and Dr. Sears and wished things had gone differently.  But then I got over it.  I healed.  I accepted that it was just not in the cards and scheduled my third c- section.  So yes, this brought up some old hurts, but I moved through them quickly.  I wasn’t mentally prepared for this kind of birth.  There were still risks to trying for a natural birth such as rupturing and the cord was around her neck (not always an issue, but a possibility).  We could have tried for a natural birth, let things progress even further, and then have worse complications.  There is no way of knowing, but when it comes right down to it, it would have been a traumatic birth regardless.  I was on a metal table, panicked, under bright lights, separated from Mike who was in the hall listening and waiting feeling powerless.

It just wasn’t in the cards.

All that to say, she is here and she is perfect in every way.  She looks a lot like both Poppy and Silas when they were born.  She never really cries, and sleeps and eats like a champ.  She spends her awake time in quiet alertness and has been sleeping in 4 hour increments.  She has an incredible amount of hair (it looks as though it might be curly like Poppy’s) that is nearly two inches long at the nape of her neck and a red mark on her inner left eyelid that I assume is some sort of birth mark.  A calm and gentle soul.

The kids have dealt with the change with incredible ease.  Poppy didn’t skip a beat and fell instantly in love.  She is obsessed with her dark hair and constantly asks if her eyes are open or closed.  When she first saw me feed her she got very worried and gasped “Why is she eating yours boobies?!”.  Silas was a little more reserved and tried to be stoic about someone taking over his role as baby, but he brings her his beloved toys to play with and kisses her often.

So yeah, we’re good and blissed out.

e

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:57 pm by Emmy | Permalink

Congratulations to you and yours on the new addition!

2. Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm by Susan | Permalink

Oh, I’ve been waiting for this announcement. Congratulations little family! She looks like a beautiful little pixie. Enjoy the babymoon!

3. Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm by Bonnie | Permalink

Congratulations! She looks PERFECT!

4. Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:51 pm by Shannon | Permalink

Beautiful baby, beautiful story, beautiful family. Many congratulations to all of you!
    Happy Days!

5. Posted October 18, 2013 at 2:14 am by nicole i | Permalink

blessings.

6. Posted October 18, 2013 at 8:27 am by ann | Permalink

congratulations to you and your family! your honesty hits and scores as always. may your light shine strongly for you, your children and all you meet.

7. Posted October 18, 2013 at 11:57 am by Marla | Permalink

I am so happy for you on the birth of your beautiful baby girl! You should be so proud of yourself and your body for creating such an amazing creature. Congratulations to you all!

8. Posted October 18, 2013 at 6:55 pm by Kerry | Permalink

Congratulations! Our kids spend their entire lives challenging all of our well made plans. In the end, it all turns out beautiful either way.

You have a lovely baby girl and a beautiful family.

9. Posted October 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm by April | Permalink

Congratulations! Clementine is so beautiful! And I love her name :)

10. Posted October 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm by jessica | Permalink

Congratulations to your BEAUTIFUL family!!! So glad to meet Miss Clementine!

11. Posted October 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm by Ana | Permalink

For some reason this post made me cry. Glad you and Clementine and everyone are all okay <3 I just love her name. The only person I've ever known with that name was in one of my favourite movies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

12. Posted October 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm by Sherri | Permalink

Congratulations!!!! Very happy for you and your family!
    I really enjoy your blog and admire your honesty.
    Best wishes!

13. Posted October 20, 2013 at 12:14 am by Hillary | Permalink

Congratulations! She is so lovely and I am glad that she arrived safely and that you five are doing well!

14. Posted October 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm by mel | Permalink

ooooooooh oh mama, you poor thing going through that intense moment and being so desperately alone – on a metal table! Ack! Isn’t it crazy what tortures can be endured – and then it all ends in beauty with that baby face in your arms? Gosh. Labour never seems to go how we dream/hope… letting go of that is part of the preparation I always need to remind myself. So glad she got here safe and sound despite all that craziness!
    You guys have such a sweet warm nest there – and I’m so thrilled for your newest addition. Enjoy that ‘baby moon’ of yours.
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

15. Posted October 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm by Stephanie K. | Permalink

Phew. I always find it so harrowing to read birth stories…I feel every pain and experience that terrible sensation of the great unknowns…the many things we don’t control!! My fourth birth was fraught with fear because it came on so quickly and the midwives hadn’t appeared and I was supposed to have an IV for group b strep. You’re right, thought…ranking birth stories according to home/hospital/c-section, natural/medicated, fast/slow/long/short IS bull shit.

I’m SO happy for your little growing family, and holy crap, can you believe how beautiful your baby girl is?? She’s AMAZING!! Congratulations to you all!!

16. Posted October 23, 2013 at 7:27 pm by Karen | Permalink

Congratulations to you all. And welcome to the world little girl.

17. Posted October 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm by cindy baldwin | Permalink

As a woman who also worked and tried so hard for a natural birth that ended in a (very necessary) c-section, I relate to so much of this post. You write beautifully about the shame and the fear and the insecurity, and I’m so glad that you’re coming to terms with this third (and very traumatic-sounding!) birth. She is beautiful – and personally, I kind of think those pictures would make an excellent Christmas card. ;)

I actually blogged a few months ago about my own frustrations surrounding the attitude over c-sections in the “natural” community – http://musings.beingcindy.com/2013/08/the-necessary-cesarean.html I understand that so many c-sections are unnecessary and it’s important to inform women of the risks and the things they can do to minimize those chances, but at the same time, I really wish that in all those (otherwise wonderful) Hypnobabies classes I took in preparation for my own birth I hadn’t been instilled with such a sense of fear and shame about the possibility of having a c-section. As I’ve come to terms with having had one and possibly having another in the future, if I am so blessed to have another child, that’s a frustration I’ve come back to several times.

18. Posted November 10, 2013 at 6:38 am by Katie | Permalink

Hi and Congratulations on your new baby girl! I have loved the name Clementine for several years now and my daughter’s name is Poppy Rose. Once I saw that was your first daughter’s name, I thought, of this is a blog I have to follow!

19. Posted December 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm by heather | Permalink

Delighted to see your beautiful addition to your family, Erin! We just celebrated our youngest’s 1st birthday this week, so it tugs at my heart to see where you are now here with such a little one and how fast mine (all of them!) have gotten not so little anymore so quickly. Cheers to you and the joy your little one will bring in this year to your family. ~heather

20. Posted January 12, 2014 at 10:26 pm by Mary | Permalink

What a lovely blog! I just had to comment on this post: natural or not, birth is ALWAYS traumatic! Don’t believe them when they say their natural birth was peaceful and lovely, not painful at all, a “dance”…it wasn’t! It was pain, blood, fear, exhaustion, and tears. And that’s the price of life. It’s all a little silly, isn’t it, how we make a hierarchy out of birthing ideals… When really, when it comes down to the moment, we just want labour to be over so we can snuggle in bed already! Welcome Clementine, lucky family to have such a beautiful girl.