this + that + then-some

It’s official.
We will be taking a family road trip to Newfoundland (and, may I just say, they killed it with their amazing tourism videos) in the beginning of September.
It’s been 9 years.
Silas is thrilled that we will be spending his birthday in a yurt by the ocean.
I am thrilled that the kid’s “first day of (home)school”  will be taken at the rather famous Hopewell Rocks at low tide.
It feels like a great rebellion.
Our time in Newfoundland will be spent with family, some of whom we haven’t seen in years, and taking day trips to places with names like Leading Tickles and Twillingate.
On the way back we will make a quick visit to PEI.
Because Anne.

When we return, we will be starting our more structured homeschool days.
Silas would officially be starting Junior Kindergarten this year.
Poppy would be going into Senior Kindergarten.
I chose to go with the Moving Beyond The Page Curriculum this year.
It seems like a good fit.
Last year we kind of decided to wing it with workbooks from Chapters and informal learning.
It was fine.
The kids learn.
Poppy can read the first two books of the Bob Book Series without help and the third and fourth books with a little help.
Reading and writing are what intimidate/worry me most about homeschooling.
I have no memory of learning how to read and write.
But everything hinges on getting that right.
So, I am over the moon that we are seeing progress and that we (us! ) are facilitating that growth with pure gut instinct and a few simple tools.
The reality is, they’re always learning.
While we read, and bake, and visit, and watch tv, and explore.
The world is full of stuff to learn.
And they are endlessly curious and observant.
It’s a beautiful thing.
To be honest, the curriculum is more for my schooled mind.
And I am ok with that.
We will still have lots of informal learning, but balanced out with structured activities as well.
I think it will be good.

We’ve also enrolled Poppy in Sparks come Autumn.
Which means we will have access to those thin mint cookies dreams are made of.
And she will wear a sash and earn badges and foster friendships.
It’s all good.

And just because it’s Friday, I may as well make it a Fawned Friday…

08)  When I was 17 I had short hair so I missed out on this trend.  It might just be on today’s agenda.
09)  I just love this little gallery wall.
10)  This bathroom is perfection.
01)  Shake, woman, shake.  Love that.
012)  I just happen to have $12 left on a Chapter’s gift card
13) This is pretty damn inspiring.

Happy Weekending Deer Hearts!

This entry was posted in family, homeschooling, life, photography + writing, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:09 am by Johanna | Permalink

Erin, if you get the chance, I highly recommend that you go see the musical “Anne” in Charlottetown at the Confederation Art Center. It will have Poppy with stars in her eyes :)
    Also, visit the home of confederation in Charlottetown. It is so cool to walk through and have a tour of Canada’s birthplace and it is free. Very worth it.

2. Posted June 28, 2014 at 11:51 am by Sherrie | Permalink

Fun, fun, fun! When we were in New Brunswick visiting family last year we stopped at Hopewell Rocks – it’s a bit off of the beaten path (we were staying near Fundy National Park) but is lovely. And there were SO MANY PEOPLE there! Enjoy your trip East – you’ll need to include NS next time!

3. Posted June 28, 2014 at 9:06 pm by KC | Permalink

Newfoundland sounds so wonderful and a bit mysterious. A very close friend of mine, has family from Newfoundland and she brings us back little things every time she goes. I’m I’m excited to see your pictures. :)

4. Posted June 29, 2014 at 1:21 pm by Krystal | Permalink

When my oldest learned to read this past spring I was so happy! He was just turned 7 and we are unschoolers. Him learning to read was a boost to *my* confidence.

Woo, Newfoundland!! That sounds so wonderful! I am imagining a nice ocean breeze.

How is FBless life? Guess what, I am inactivating this afternoon. It’s too much!

Peace!

5. Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:42 pm by Desiree Fawn | Permalink

Oh gosh, we LOVED the Hopewell Rocks. Totally stunning! (We walked down and took the shuttle back up — it’s a hefty hill, haha.)

6. Posted August 23, 2014 at 8:57 pm by Annette | Permalink

I miss you, dear Erin. This facebook-less life. There are hours to fill and every little thing matters. I can’t explain it except that I am remembering how to spend time, hours upon hours, and realness. Facebook kept me from thinking and feeling in the wake of my recent loss and I’m remembering how again because I let myself get so distracted that it was like I didn’t exist anymore except through pinholes and impression management.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say I miss you and I am SO HAPPILY JEALOUS that you are going to PEI because of Anne! I dream of going too! I await your photos with great anticipation! I hope you are doing wonderfully and I also selfishly hope you post here more often! :)

• Posted January 14, 2015 at 8:51 am by erin | Permalink

Just found this comment buried in my neglected blog comment! Oh my.
      I understand (I could never comprehend your loss) the need to leave Facebook. I’ve gone and deleted 99% of my friends as well. Liberating.
      I miss you dearly. Let me know if there is a space I could connect with you…if not, I understand, dear.
      Anne land was a dream.

7. Posted August 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm by Shannon | Permalink

Hey Erin and Mike,

Shannon here (from Thurston Organics days….). IF for some reason you are able, you are VERY welcome to come and stay at our farm as you are passing by. We live basically at the border of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick….not too far from the bridge to PEI. On the outskirts of a village called River Hebert, just 15 minutes from Joggins (a UNESCO world heritage site). And we have lots of space for guests…though our house is very simple (no running hot water). Anyways, just to let you know, you’re always welcome!

• Posted January 14, 2015 at 8:48 am by erin | Permalink

How did I not see this comment until now?! 4 months after our trip out to the east coast!
      We would have loved to do that!
      Next time? 😉